Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lump at Anaesthesia Injection Site

Pawsible
September 3rd, 2003, 07:56 AM
Hi fellow pet lovers

My six month old healthy tabby kitten, Obi, was neutered one week ago. He has developed a very large lump around the site where the anaesthesia was administered. I have never had a cat neutered who afterward had a reaction of this kind. My vet has given me antibiotics for Obi, which he is to take twice a day. However, the vet said the lump may become an abscess that needs drained, or it may dissipate. In either case, I am concerned for Obi's general wellbeing. Will this infected lump 'leak' into his bloodstream? Is it a common reaction? Why isn't the vet sure what caused it .. eg infected needle? Please could someone help.
I had a rescued cat for eleven months, who died of cancer, and Obi was the little kitten I needed to love in his place. I don't want a healthy cat to become sick because of a routine castration operation.:(

Carina
September 3rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
Was he vaccinated at the same time?
Could possibly be a vaccine reaction, if so....

Pawsible
September 3rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
:) Many thanks carina .. no, Obi was vaccinated six weeks ago and there was no reaction to the two injections.

Carina
September 3rd, 2003, 09:15 AM
Oh OK...actually I originally misread your post and wrote a whole response about vaccine reactions! Whoops. :o I've never had an animal get a lump by the injection site, although female dogs sometimes herniate where they've been stitched after a spay & that's not usually a big deal.

Anyhow - sorry I don't have any other ideas. Maybe you could swing by another vet clinic just for a second opinion? It shouldn't become systemic (get into his bloodstream) - and if he's on antibiotics now, I wouldn't think it would abcess either.

Maybe you could do a search on anaesthesia injection reaction, or something...?

Hope he's OK!

Pawsible
September 9th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Hi

Just wanted to let you know that Obi is doing fine.

The lump has all but disappeared, two weeks after the injection - with the aid of antibiotics.

Thank you for your help and support.

;)