Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy has arrived

JanM
October 15th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Our new puppy is home - an 8 wk Golden female. She is soooo cute... and Bobby, my 15-month Golden is such a sweet boy with her! I was afraid he might get jealous or something but they wrestle together and play tug - with bones yet! Her name is Amber .. I tried to attach a picture - hope it comes through!

downloader
October 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Come on JanM give us a picture!

www.bluewhippet.net

JanM
October 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Well, the "Manage Attachments" said I uploaded a picture so here's hoping it comes through this time.

I also have a crate question - Amber got overtired today because of some company and when they left she would not settle down to sleep so I put her in her crate she fussed for a few minutes then crashed. Is it wrong to use a crate for this?

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Cutie!!! What a nice looking doggy! :)

april07
October 16th, 2005, 09:14 PM
What a cutie!
No it's not wrong to put him in the crate if he needs to calm down. I put Murphy in his when I leave the house or when he gets over rumbuncious and when he's like that he sometimes gets a little too bitey for me and doesn't want to chew on his toys sometimes it's too much so I calmly tell him in a perkier voice "time for a timeout" and put some toys in there for him to play with. he loves his kennel. When I leave for work in the morning i tell him to go in his house and he goes he also enjoys playing in there. When pups are young it's good to put them in the kennel at normal times,put some toys for him in it and he'll realize that it's a good safe place. At first it may take some time for them to get used to and they'll cry for a couple minutes or bark,do not let him out when he does that though. And Whatever you do do not scold him and then put him in the kennel as this would teach him that's where he goes when he's been bad or you are unhappy with him.

Puppyluv
October 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I also have a crate question - Amber got overtired today because of some company and when they left she would not settle down to sleep so I put her in her crate she fussed for a few minutes then crashed. Is it wrong to use a crate for this?
I don't see anything wrong with this. Layla loves her crate and sees it as her refuge. She will often go there just to chill out, and it's a safe place for her. Putting Amber in her crate to calm her down is perfectly fine, and I have to say, it's really nice to have a dog that loves their crate.
BTW: What an absolute doll!!! :love:

shannonRN
October 18th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Gosh, they are just adorable together!

As long as puppy doesn't get the impression that the crate is punishment, I feel this is fine. My dogs also love their crates and both come and go from theirs to sleep off and on during the day. If not used punitively, the crate becomes their own private den as well as a good way to potty train a puppy, keep pup out of trouble when alone, etc.

JanM
October 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks, everyone - I do feel better about putting her in her crate to calm down! She sleeps in her crate at night - right beside my bed but doesn't have access to it during the day yet - she isn't allowed free run of the bedroom. She goes in the crate when I have to go out during the day - for maybe 2 hours once in an odd while but other than that, she is inside and outside all day. Bobby has quite taken to her too which is a delight to watch!
Thanks again for your comments!

PetFriendly
October 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Just an idea in case you come back... Maybe get a second crate? One for sleeping, and one in the common area for 'hiding in' when she gets tired? If she likes her crate then she'll probably find it on her own and have a nap which would prevent the over-tired-hyper-puppy issue altogether?! Its an idea (my little guy used to have a hyper fit when he got over tired, much like a two year old child will, he ran all over, crazy like then crashed and burned.)

LM1313
October 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM
They are so adorable! I love golden retrievers. :love:

~LM~

JanM
October 19th, 2005, 03:21 PM
A second crate is an excellent idea - and why I didn't think of it I sure don't know - it is such a simple resolution!

And yes, they are adorable together - Bobby is sooo gentle with her, it's a joy to watch. I'm beginning to think, though, that it won't be long before she starts ruling the roost! I have more pictures in the camera so I'll post more when I download them..

Luvmypit
October 19th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hey JanM Welcome to the board!

Just wanted to say that they are both soooo adorable please post more pics as soon as you can!

JanM
October 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Well - I did put up some pictures - they are on the Pet Pictures forum - those two puppies are awesome together - it's a treat to watch. Little Amber climbs all over Bobby and sometimes just bites his hair and hangs on while Bobby walks around! I've had a lot of chuckles over the past week...