Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat was attacked by another cat, open wound,

angelbrittney
September 3rd, 2003, 12:50 AM
my cat is pregnant, she's due like tomorrow...she ran out a couple weeks ago, was attacked by another cat, she came home, a little bit messy, thought she was having kittens. i was wrong...anyway, she had a scar on her neck, but i don't know what she did, she must have scratched it or something, and now she has a chuck of her fur just hanging off, leaving an open wound, all clinics around my area are closed, don't know any emergeny vets in the area.....what should i do? please help

Wacky
September 3rd, 2003, 03:31 AM
If it doesn't appear to be infected, and it isn't bleeding, then it probably isn't an emergency that you need to rush to the vet for.

You could use some antibiotic ointment on the wound if she will let you put it on. Neosporin or some such should be fine.

How soon will your vet be open? You may want to give them a call as soon as they open and find out if they recommend her being seen.

On a side tangent, I was wondering if you will be keeping her indoors from now on or not? Also, are you planning to have her spayed?

Carina
September 3rd, 2003, 08:19 AM
Like Wacky says, warm compresses and antibiotic cream or a mild solution of hydrogen peroxide to keep it clean will help. If it scabs over, try keeping the scab open and softened with warm water to keep it draining, this will help prevent an abcess.

If it starts getting pus, gets smelly, or appears red and swollen, I'd for sure get her vet attention asap. Cats have pretty strong immune systems and can often fight infection, but her immune system is probably stressed because of pregnancy. And you sure don't want a sick cat having to go through birthing and nursing kittens.

angelbrittney
September 3rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
thanks for the reply! My cat has never been an outdoor cat....i moved into a new apartment in july, had to go to work next day after moving, so i left two windows open in my kitchen, just a crack to let the air circulate, had no screens. came home, and there was a stray cat in the house, that is how she is pregnant now. and ever since then, she'd run outside everytime the door opened and go under the balcony....so on mornings going to work, didn't have time to go find her.....was one of those days she ran out in the morning. I tried soo hard not to let her out, but sometimes she was too quick, and that was the last time she even tried to go out....after being attacked by another cat she won't even go near the door. I did plan on having her fixed, but i didn't plan on having a stray cat in the house, so yeah, this will be the second and last litter.

Wacky
September 3rd, 2003, 09:18 PM
Oh, good, you keep your cats inside. I feel pretty strongly about that myself, but I've had indoor only cats get out with that sneaky run they have. Luckily the apartment I'm in now has two doors before they can even come close to the outside. Gives me time to catch them. :)

One thing I picked up recently from a wound care nurse was that doctors are leaning away from hydrogen peroxide for wound care recently. I don't know how true it is, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. After all, we've been using for many many years, right? I guess I dunno the answer there.

I'm also glad to hear you will be spaying her after this. It's so nice to see people do the right thing rather then yelling at how mean we are for telling them it's for the best.

About 20 years ago on the farm my family has, we used to have a it of a "breeding program"... but only enough to keep our farm in kitties to control the mice. We would keep one unaltered male and one unaltered female, then after they produced a litter or two (whom we fixed young), we'd alter the male, and add a new male. Then after another litter or so, we'd alter the female and add a new female. I don't know of any other farmers who did that then, but I do know some now that alter their cats and adopt new ones instead. Makes me happy. And here I am blathering on about old stuff.

How is she doing now? You mentioned she was due any day, have things started yet? I find kitten birth to be such a neat miracle. But, I know I can't be letting my kitties have babies, so I'm going to foster pregnant cats and get the joy of helping, seeing birth and live start, *and* knowing that they will be taken care of after this. I love the fact that we have several rescue organizations near me to work with.

angelbrittney
September 4th, 2003, 08:43 PM
my cat had her kittens today! Took a long time to find her and the babies. Came home from work, my cat greeted me at the door as usual, but saw that she was all bloody, so started looking everywhere she usually hides, and couldnt find any.....about an hour or so later, heard some weird noise coming out of under my computer desk, so i moved everything around there, nothing, but i saw a shadow or something underneath my little filing droor, and sure enough, i pulled out the droor and there they were. Four little kitties....and the stray cat that broke into my house did a good job, two of them look like their mother, and the other two look almost exactly like the very first cat we ever had, my parents had her before i was born....they look just like her, i'm thinking of keeping one of them.

Anyway, finally stress free now, wound looks a lot better now, friend came over next day and put something on it..

Wacky
September 5th, 2003, 12:26 AM
That's wonderful to hear. They do have their babies in the oddest places at times, don't they? We had a cat who hated our dog when we first brought him home, but within a few years would birth with his head hanging in the box without a problem. Of course our kittens were all well adjusted to dogs by the time they went to new houses.

I'm glad to hear that her wound is better too. You might want to keep an eye on that just in case. Being a new mommy is tough, no matter if she's done it before or not. You probably already know all the other stuff to watch for with her.

You may want to consider charging a small price for any kittens that you don't keep, to make sure someone unscrupulous doesn't take them for whatever reason. Around here the general price for something like that is $25 US. Adoptions tend to run anywhere from $50 to $120 US for cats or kittens that are already vetted and altered. Pretty good deal if you ask me!

I'm so glad she is okay. Enjoy those babies!