Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

E-Commerce Web Site Help

StaceyB
October 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I need to set up a site but I have absolutely no experience with it.
Who is the best provider, cost, runs w/o problems?
Should I hire someone to set up the site for me or can I do it on my own?
Is there anything I should know?

BeagleMum
October 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I can ask my sister for you as she is in that field. She has actually created some sited for the government and they look really good.

CyberKitten
October 15th, 2005, 11:18 AM
If you know basic HTML, it is not that hard to figure out ecommerce. I assume you mean a site with a place to check out? (as in a sopping cart - not sure that sounded right, lol). You will need an SSl certificate and security. It also depends how large this site is. If this involves large sensitive dtabases of info (like what we work with in medicine) or you just want to set up a site where ppl can buy something securely, that will also define how much you need to spend or what you choose to work witj. Some hosting plans have SSL ecommerce solutions included, making it easier.

StaceyB
October 15th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Grover, that would be great, you can just email if you like.

CK, Maybe I need to find out all the details about what goes into a site. I do know I need E-commerce because I want to have the option for online enrollment and payment.

Basically what I need is an area for basic info, a calendar, onlline enrollment, payment.

puppy4ever
October 15th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I am looking into doing that same thing right now Stacey. I'm kind of at the same point as you. I think you need to either get a merchant account and SSL or have your payments go through a 3rd party gateway payment service.

Host excellence seems reasonable I think: link (http://www.hostexcellence.com/)

I'm trying to find a place that will accept payments for me and not charge any monthly fee (just a high per transaction %). I know they are out there just can't find one...

StaceyB
October 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM
It looks like that site is only for U.S. residents.

puppy4ever
October 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM
It looks like that site is only for U.S. residents.

Where did you see that?

I think that the fee is in US funds. When I went to the registration page it has a place to choose postal code and country. Pretty sure it is open to international clients. BTW- way back I compared it to other places and it seemed good for both price and customer service (think they also have tons of software for free..including shopping cart software). You might want to shop around a bit more though.

Do you already have a web host, domain and website?

StaceyB
October 15th, 2005, 01:30 PM
No I don't have anything yet which is probably what is making it so confusing. I probably need to know all the steps I need to take and how to take them.

puppy4ever
October 15th, 2005, 01:50 PM
If you really wanted to start out small and cheap I think you could just use your own webspace that you have with your internet connection which wouldn't cost you anything and then use paypal (or better something similar). I don't think you would even be paying any monthly charges that way. You risk coming off as unprofessional though because your domain won't look very good. You won't have for example www.StaceyBdogtraining.com instead you will have something like www.telus/telusmembers/StaceyBdogtraining.com.
But you could try this out first and then move onto something bigger and better.

Anyone think that is a bad idea?

puppy4ever
October 15th, 2005, 01:55 PM
You might already have MS frontpage on your computer. If so, you can easily create a website with this program. You can actually import an example website (from anywhere) and change it. I'm not sure how easy it is to write html into it though...I know you can edit it but that part is beyond me.