Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

EEK! litterbox issues

shannonRN
October 15th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Lucy uses her litterboxes without fail, but I've been having some problems with, um, aim, I guess you'd say. We have the covered type of boxes; the bottom 'pan' is 8 inches (20cm) deep, and the lid has a row of ridges that set upon ridges along the edge of the pan. Then the lid clamps in place.

To get to the point, I have noticed that urine collects in those ridges where the lid meets the bottom of the unit in the back corner. She is kind of weird about her litter--I'll notice that she'll use the litter boxes randomly for a while, then she'll favor one of them for a day or two and use only that one. When she does favor one of the boxes, the urine will then collect to the point that it will drip out the back onto the floor.
This is a problem :eek:

I have put into place some 'interim safety measures' (LOL) to protect the floors, but do any of you have ANY idea how a small-to-medium sized female cat is peeing so high off the ground? I thought girl kitties were squatters? Do they sometimes spray like males?

I only put about thin layer of litter in the pan each time b/c I prefer to do a 'full service clean' very frequently and do the daily scooping as well. I can't seem to catch her in the act without disrupting her--kitties need their privacy, you know--and our boxes are very well hidden b/c of doggies with occasional tendencies to sneak into the litter...

CyberKitten
October 15th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Some kitties do not like covered boxes and I would not use them just because the smell tends to gather and stay and think of the poor cat stuck in there smwlling that. Cats are by nature very clean so that alone is soemtimes enuf for her not tp want to be in there or to urinate quickly so she canm get in and out quickly. Females so not spray in the same way as males - but they can miss or get some elsewhere. Rubbermaid trays - which are not made FOR litterboxes - Are usually high enuf that urine never makes it over the top, I clan mine every day tho the stuff does not collect - suspect I'd have unhappy kitties otherwise.

LoNScamp
October 15th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I have found that the cheapest way to deal with cats with wrotten aim is to put the litter pan on a boot tray that has space on all four sides. It is easy to pick up and wash, catches the litter that inevitable gets spilled when scooping the pan. It also costs a fraction of the price of the litter pan trays.

shannonRN
October 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
LoN--that's pretty much what I have set up now, if a 'boot tray' is what I think it is :)

Lucy loves to linger in the litter box though. Whether just cleaned or not, she is an enthusiastic digger and loves to scratch around in there. She has since stopped, but she took naps in her litter box for the first month she was here. Since my other kitty (also from a shelter) laid in her litter once upon a time, I assume this is fairly common of cats confined very small areas for a long period of time with a litter box and minimal extra space .

I use clumping litter, which I scoop out whenever I pass by and notice a clump--a couple times a day. Then I fully clean the box every other day or third day at most.

I'm just glad I noticed this happening before it ruined my floor. I've always had female cats and have never had aim problems before, let alone with gravity-defying aim problems!