Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What happens to the millions of euthanized(by shelters and vets) dogs and cats

justncase
October 15th, 2005, 03:02 AM
It looks like millions of euthanized cats and dogs are being processed into the pet food people feed their pets.(isn't that how mad cow disease started? Feeding "processed " cattle back to cattle as feed?)

One point of interest:

"Some of these dead pets -- those euthanized by veterinarians -- already contain pentobarbital before treatment with the denaturing process. According to University of Minnesota researchers, the sodium pentobarbital used to euthanize pets "survives rendering without undergoing degradation."

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0106-04.htm

LavenderRott
October 15th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Aahhh, finally, the definition of the ever elusive "meat" in cheap pet foods.

100%doglover
October 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Ah yes, I remember reading about it years ago.... I started exclusively cooking human grade food for my dog about 8 years ago because of the "lovely" facts about some commercial dog foods. If anyone interested, "Foods pets die for" by Ann Martin is an excellent book on the subject!

LL1
October 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM
There was a study on dog foods that have that euthanizing chemical in it too.Sick,for dogs and peeps.

CyberKitten
October 15th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I read about this years ago and vowed to always ensure my babies get human grade food. Thus, I stay away from grocery food store stuff - unless there actualy is human grade food there which is uncommon - and assiduously read the labels. Just the link between rendering and BSE and CJD is enough for me!! I think rendering in general should be ended.

doggy lover
October 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM
That is horrible, I thought all animals were cremated and the ashes disposed of. I never thought that you could do this to dead pets. :eek:

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I just found this one today: (scroll to the bottom under "Veterinary Notes")
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/newsletters/ucd2002/nltraug02.htm#Pentobarbital%20in%20Dog%20Food
Don't buy food with pentobarbital in them.

kayla
October 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM
OMG I never even thought about where they all go. That is really disturbing and disgusting :mad:

Gripenfelter
October 16th, 2005, 11:29 AM
So lets hear some brand names.

Which dog food companies are know to do this?

kayla
October 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I can't say for sure but I'm betting **** is one of them, I'm sure someone else will know more though!

Gripenfelter
October 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I was gonna guess ****** and ** ***.

LL1
October 16th, 2005, 01:10 PM
The big rendering plant in Quebec that Ontario and Quebec dogs were sent to announced about 2 years ago that they would no longer render companion animals.

The FDA study showed could not prove their were cats and dogs in the food, but did find the drug used to euthanize animals (pentobarbital) in it:

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/DFreport.htm

***** with beef had it, **'**, ***-*-******, ******* * ****, ****** ******* beef, ***** special diet

BMDLuver
October 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM
There's apparently one in St. Leonard and the odour when rendering is quite awful if the wind is blowing the wrong way. This rendering is used in cosmetics I believe.

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Any food that lists "Meat" or "animal meal" etc, probably has doggies and kitties (and rats and roaches) in it. If it doesn't use a non-descript kind of meat, then it probably doesn't have them in it. ;)

LL1
October 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM
**** special diet is made by ***,who make ********.

LL1
October 16th, 2005, 04:22 PM
The one I mentionned that was rendering cats and dogs was Sanimal,in Montreal.They stopped rendering pets,or at least said they did,about 2 years ago
http://www.sanimal.com/page2.html

Ford
October 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Please, everyone, unless you have facts to back up any claims, refrain from mentioning specific companies, and ESPECIALLY if you are speculating. As repulsive as this practice may be, due to past incidents, we have to be very vigilant in ensuring that we are not putting the board at risk to actions because of slander.

maddoxies
October 17th, 2005, 05:29 PM
A friend of mine started a pet crematorium service. Otherwise, they are picked up from the pounds/vets, put in a dump truck, bulldozed into a pit and incincerated (not cremated). Although they dont end up rendered, it is not a dignified end for a beloved companion.

I will not post names on the board, but pm me if you want the name of her company. She services Ontario and Quebec.

melanie
October 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM
i thought that was what aussie meat pies were made of, 70% dead dogs and 30% pig trotters, lol no truly it seems that way. eat one and you wil know what i mean :D oh im sooooo sick, lol lol :D ......

i saw a beautiful lady driving on the highway the other day, and down the side of her van was written 'petsatpeace.com.au' what a lovely name, it made me cry and think i love her for offereing such a service. so kind and necessary...

but the ones from the pound that are killed are just put in a furnace somewhere on council lands.... they would not tell us such things, it would cause them too much grief.....

BoxerRescueMTL
October 17th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I had Uncle Monty cremated by Petfriends, I dealt with a woman named Averil who also does Golden rescue. They were amazing, very thoughtful and comforting. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Lucky Rescue
October 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I will not post names on the board, but pm me if you want the name of her company. She services Ontario and Quebec.

Do you mean "Eternal Friends"? Yes, very nice lady indeed!

LL1
October 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
She does not service all of Ontario and Quebec.Many landed at Sanimal.
A friend of mine started a pet crematorium service. Otherwise, they are picked up from the pounds/vets, put in a dump truck, bulldozed into a pit and incincerated (not cremated). Although they dont end up rendered, it is not a dignified end for a beloved companion.

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Looking at Sanimal's website, you just have to avoid dog foods with anything from this list under "Products":
http://www.sanimal.com/page2.html

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 17th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I love the happy cows grazing on the website if only they new their fate. :eek:

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM
It's not their fate, it's their dinner. :yuck:

LL1
October 18th, 2005, 09:55 AM
And then many people eat them.

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
"Feather meal"??? Since when are feathers considered to be edible/nourishment :confused: , or do they have some other use?

doggy lover
October 18th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I'm glad I know where my Travis is, RIP baby.