Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll of the night! Your news: Where does it come from?

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 11:20 PM
You asked for a poll, so I'm making one.

In nearly every journalism class, they make a big deal about how passť newspapers are. Are they really as "old news" as they are telling us? Or do more of us read a newspaper daily? The other thing was that by the time people read the newspaper, the ads within it have probably expired.

So where do you get your news?

TobsterMom
October 14th, 2005, 11:27 PM
My mom. This includes, National, local, and neighborhood.

There's no "Mom" option :(

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 11:29 PM
LOL I believe "word of mouth" has to fall under "Blech". Sorry, I realized as soon as I clicked "submit" that I had forgotten it. :o

babyrocky1
October 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM
If something peeks my interest on the tv news, I buy the paper to find out some info. If its something about dogs I come here and look for liinks :)

LavenderRott
October 15th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Due to my current situation - I try to avoid the t.v. news. I do read the occasional interesting story from my cable hook-up home page.

shannonRN
October 15th, 2005, 03:16 AM
In general, I'm woefully uninformed and proud of it.
I hate newspapers--I think they're a waste of trees.
As for TV, I'm always working or sleeping when any good news programs are on. I catch tidbits here and there when I'm in a patient's room, and if I'm lucky, I might be able to catch 5 minutes of the 6 o'clock news if I have to put in an IV or something.
The internet tends to be one of my wind down at the end of the day activities, and I tend to stick to the lighter side of things so I can sleep.
I'll talk your ear off in person though--so I love word of mouth news. And if I'm not in a singing mood in the car, I will listen to radio news.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 15th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Everwhere paper, tv, news. I go to MSN if there isn't anything on here. I really like to keep up on celebrity news. :D

Rick C
October 15th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I get my news from pretty much everywhere.

I'm a subscriber to the Calgary Herald and I'll be shortly walking Abby & Keeper a mile to the mailbox and a mile back so I can read it.

My internet bookmarks at the office and home include links to most major daily newspapers in North America, including the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Philadelphia Inquirer, Toronto Globe & Mail, all the sister papers of the Calgary Herald across Canada, the Calgary SUN, San Jose Mercury News, Denver Post, LA Daily News, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, New York Post, New York Daily News, Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, . . . . . etc, etc, etc, yada, yada, yada.

I'll look at the NHL news at those sites first, then flip to their front pages to see what's interesting.

I also check in on MSNBC.com, CNN.com, BBC.com, FOXnews.com, CBS.com, al-jazeerah.net

I'll also do obscure things when I have some extra time like checking in on english language daily newspapers in Pakistan, Iran, Moscow, Egypt, London, etc, etc. which can be quite interesting for a different perspective.

I generally flip through all news channels if I'm watching TV, ranging from the painfully left-wing CBC to the painfully right wing FOX with MSNBC, CNN, CTV in between.

The world is an interesting place. I'm an ex-journalist from several decades back.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

doggy lover
October 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I get my news from all over the place, I like those little free newspapers whats it called 24 i think.

CyberKitten
October 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Prin, are you taking Reseach Methods and making us all suffer with you or WHAT? :D

I think you are getting the mutually exclusive and exhasutive part but the phrasing needs some work <Ducking>

I think I screwed up tho - I clicked this after clicking my choices. I am a news junkie - I read everything tho I first check Bourque.com (for our US readers, Canada's ver of Drudge tho not hardly as right wing tho Drudge has a wonderful refdesk site). But I also subscribe to the local daily (but my family is "involved" with it it so I sort of have to, lol plus I am on the editorial board, lol I also watch CNN, Newsworld, (Tho my sister was freaking out when she could not find CNBC tho we have it now, no MSNBC unless you have more cable or sattelite and I am not home enuf for that), and read other newspapers online (NY Times, Sty. Pete's Times, Wash Post, Globe and Mail, Irish Times and RTE, London Times - tho you get the idea). You forgot news magazines like MacLean's and Time or even God forbid Frank which we still have in Nova SCotia and no one admits to reading but everyone knows what's inside. I seem to get reported on more in Frank than the local papers so I like them - but I would NEVER admit that either !! Actually, one of my friends, an MLA, gave me Frank as a birthday gift! :) I also read weeklies if I see them - don;t buy them too much. And yeah, there always is the grapevine or as one of my Fracophone friends calls it - because he has a hard time understanding the term "grapevine", he hears stuff "on the branch". Love the branch term, lol

Roxy's_MA
October 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I mostly get my news from watching, and I read the Edmonton Journal Daily on my lunch break. I will also get some news from the internet. If the Journal is not available in the lunch room, I have an online subscription as well.
I love news. I can't get enough. Even with the amount of news I read and watch, I still sometimes have a hard time keeping up with everything that is going on. I am just an information junkie in general.

jessi76
October 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I watch the evening news when I get home from work and start cooking dinner. Then I catch the 10pm news (tv) as I'm going to bed.

The last time I even bought a newspaper was when I was housebreaking Tucker. The only part of it I actually read is the comics.

Dogastrophe
October 17th, 2005, 12:43 PM
While newspaper news is "old" news, that is day old, it still provides a greater level of detail / analysis than most other mediums, depending on the quality of the paper of course.

CyberKitten
October 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I love newspapers - cannot imagine relying solely on TV for news - writing for TV news is completeky different and all you get are snippits and an overview. I want the details of the news, to be really informed. That does not happen on TV which is more entertainment than news and seems to be moving (sadly) even more in that direction. Of course not all newspapers are created equal but I enkoy reading good quality reporting and commentary regardless of the perspective.

BoxerRescueMTL
October 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM
;) *LOL* I watch the Daily Show everyday. I have such a crush on Jon Stewart. I also watch CTV news every evening and I only listen to the CBC when I'm driving. My friends make fun of me for that, I'm like a senior citizen with my talk radio..

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Gasp! You're under 50 and you listen to CBC radio? :eek: And you have a boyfriend?

Rick C
October 18th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Gasp! You're under 50 and you listen to CBC radio? :eek: And you have a boyfriend?

Probably a peuce-beret wearing Marxist with a Che Gueverra t-shirt. :sorry: :angel: :clown:

A recent University of Halifax/U of Calgary survey of CBC radio employees found 45% voted NDP in the last federal election versus an 8% norm in the population.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

BoxerRescueMTL
October 18th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Yup! My name is Crystal and I love the CBC. Hahahahahhahaaha. I'm such a dork. I'm really an old lady in a 25 yr old body. It's raining, my arthritis is acting up again.

BoxerRescueMTL
October 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Probably a peuce-beret wearing Marxist with a Che Gueverra t-shirt.
Wow! How'd you know that?! ;)

Rick C
October 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Wow! How'd you know that?! ;)

I'd love to tell you it was just a wild guess but, you know . . . . it wasn't. :grouphug: There are only so many classical music lovers in the world . . . . the rest turn to CBC radio for other reasons.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/janprimus/TWOCHE.JPG

PS - I'm mostly kidding.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
October 18th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Well I am under 50 and I listen to CBC Radio. Except for the "oldies" station that plays songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's, it's the ONLY thing I do listen to on the radio - Information Morning every morning. Even during the strike, Moncton CBC was still on the air (as was the Quebec Community Network) which we get as well. I never have time during the day or evenings tho.