Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male cat vomits when Female in heat???

Saturn42
October 14th, 2005, 08:14 PM
OK Here it is in a nutshell (I hope)...

I have 2 cats. The male is about 7 years old, and was neutered before he could start spraying. The female is approaching 2 years old, and has not been spayed.

The female goes into heat every 2-4 weeks, for about 3 or 4 days at a time. While she's in heat, the male does all he can to avoid her... Seems she drives him nuts with her scenting up everything and cooing and following him around and such...

Anyhow, the male (who enjoys eating lint and other non-food particles) does vomit from time to time, but usually we can see that he vomited because of hair or dust balls or whatever.

We recently realized that he also vomits quite a bit for 2 or 3 days in a row (he eats, then an hour or two later, throws it up again; no hair or lint balls can be found). At first we were worried he was sick or something, and then we started to realize this "puke-fests" seem to coincide regularly with the female's heat cycle. In other words, when she's in the peak of her heat, he starts vomiting whenever he eats anything. It lasts for a day or two (he's a big cat, so it's not undernourishing him or anything -- and he always keeps SOME of the food down).

Once her heat ends, so does his vomiting -- until the next cycle.

Is this possible??? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if this is even possible, that a male cat can somehow be so nauseated by the female in heat that he goes "bulimic"?? I realize nasty smells or tastes in us humans can certainly drive us to vomit, I'm just not too certain if the same is true of cats....

Any thoughts on this are certainly appreciated!!

- Dave

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Could be. The only way to find out for sure is to have her fixed. I'm not sure that heats that often are healthy though...

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I'm just wondering why your female cat is not spayed? Incessant heats are very hard on her, can result in cancer and deadly pyometra, and also are hard on your male cat.

that a male cat can somehow be so nauseated by the female in heat that he goes "bulimic"??

Absolutely not. Intact cats make sterilized ones (especially ones like yours who were neutered very young) very uneasy and stressed. Smells have nothing to do with it.

Get your female spayed and everyone will be happier, especially her!:)

Saturn42
October 14th, 2005, 08:45 PM
She's not been spayed because (in order of importance):

a) We haven't yet ruled out the possibility of breeding her (she is very uniquely marked and many have commented that she should be bred)

b) We live in an apartment and there is NO chance of her encountering a male than can get her pregnant...

c) ... money restrictions ... (this is "a" reason, but not "the" reason).

Though I'm leaning toward having it done, anyhow, if only because, besides her own discomfort every 3 weeks or so, she's impossible to live with during her heat (follows everyone around, scenting everything up, yowling and making a racket morning and night, drives the male crazy, etc etc) She's also quite willful and especially disobedient of the "house rules" (eg, no cats on counters or tables -- the male learned this in about 2 weeks as a kitten... she still does it, despite our best training efforts; she's especially bad during heat)....

BMDLuver
October 14th, 2005, 08:50 PM
No offense but just because she's uniquely marked does it mean that any of her kittens will be at all. Check out genetic color mutations charts and the probability of getting the right genetic male color mutation to produce the "unique" markings is probably 1 in 10,000 if not more. Not a good reason to breed in my books, so scratch number one off the list. :)

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Every accidental pregnancy we hear about here involves a female that would NEVER EVER come into contact with an intact male.

And the spots, BMD is right. Spots occur mostly at random, especially in female cats. The colors are sex-linked and at a point early in development, one of the X chromosomes in each cell shuts off TOTALLY at random. You can't predict which will be on and which will be off. On top of that, if half of her "distinctive" coloring is on one chromosome and the other half is on another, you probably will get just a solid colored cat (kittens only inherit one sex-chromosome from their mothers).

We have traits of our parents, but nobody is the exact copy (except maybe a clone, but that's a whole other heap of trouble they haven't figured out yet).

Bottom line, appreciate this cat because there will be no other cats like her, whether you breed her or not.

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Her markings mean nothing, believe me. We just had a papered and purebred Silver Chinchilla Persian up for adoption, after her owner dumped her. We've also had gorgeous Siamese and many other purebreds.

Whoever commented that she should be bred should take a trip to a kill shelter and see how many unique, sweet and beautiful cats and kittens are taken and killed every single day of the week, year round.:( Their colours save none of them.

You'll be doing everyone a favour by having her spayed, and doing your bit to help the overpopulation problem, instead of adding to it!:)

If you want lovely kittens, foster a litter for a rescue and help get them rehomed.

Saturn42
October 14th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Not spots tho.. stripes.. and yes, I get what you';re saying...

FYI here's her pic....

http://cat.titaniumwebs.com/Alexis/alexis.jpg

Puppyluv
October 14th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but markings mean zilch. I will give you a prime example:
Here are two cats, Rainbow (the elder) and CC (the younger) I'm sure you'll agree that they are very different looking, surely not related. But alas, CC is the perfect clone of Rainbow.

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Go here and read about Tabbies: http://www.fanciers.com/other-faqs/colors.html It's a common color for a cat.

CyberKitten
October 14th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Unless you are an experienced breeder, please have her spayed. The ONLY reason to breed a cat is to breed one who is titled and can somehow better her particular breed. There is no justification otherwise. Absolutely none. My cat IS a show quality Siamese Seal Point whose parents are both titled Grand Champions - and I had to pay much more for her because of that as well. However, I wanted her because of who she is and not to breed her. Plus, it is alot of work - and certainly no credible or reputable breeder makes a profit from breeding (It's all part of their showing their cats) and in fact, COSTS them much more - and as much as I enjoy cat shows, I do not have that kind of time. And I am experienced in caring for cats of all ages and breeds!

If you do have all those prerequisites but the fact you cited money probs suggests this route may not be for you - and not all cats like shows - so you'd have to try that first of course. But you will have to do it soon because most good breeders never breed a cat past the age of 3 which - following ethical guidlelines and your cat's age will give you one litter at the most. Do you have someone to mentor you in showing?

If you cannot do all of that, you ate only succeeding in allowing you cat to suffer needlessly and allowing her to be open to more diseases.

Unfortunately - as LR said - you just have to click on a few web sites to see al lthe dumped beautiful Siamese and Bengals and Tokinese and and...

xFire Angelx
October 15th, 2005, 12:58 AM
and deadly pyometra

i remember my dads cat had that... if im thinking of the same thing that is lol
she nearly died... her uterus was filled to the brim with pus and it nearly expoded inside of her the vet said if they would have waited 1 more day to take her in she would be dead... and she had only been in heat once
i remember she was acting all weird and wouldnt let us pick her up and pus would come out of her from her uterus it was so scary
sorry if thats not what pyometra is but i think thats what the vet said(i cant remember right it was a couple years ago)
but the vet had to take out all of her uterus and stuff poor thing went through hell and back and she was still just a youngin

Prin
October 15th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Ya, that's pyometra. :eek:

xFire Angelx
October 15th, 2005, 01:03 AM
phew glad i wasnt thinking of something else lol
its so sad... she could have died because my dad was cheap and wanted to put off having her fixed... she is an indoor only cat and wasnt around any males... taught him a lesson with that happening.. the next cat they got they got him fixed right away cuz they didnt want anythign bad happen to him like it did with *****head(the name of my dads female cat)

chico2
October 15th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I just wanted to add,although I LOVE tabbies,there is nothing unique about them,there are millions of them ot there...of course my Rocky is very unique to me :love: his barn-cat mom was actually black :confused:

CyberKitten
October 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Even cloning does not get your an exact copy. CC - the 1st cat cloned by Savings and Clone - looked quite different than her donor

CC: http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/cat_clonetexam.jpg
http://www.savingsandclone.com/images/clients/clones/cc_rainbow_1.gif
Rainbow (Donor) http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/cat_rainbowtexam.jpg
http://www.savingsandclone.com/images/clients/clones/cc_rainbow_2.gif

"Rainbow is a plump, brown, tan, gold and white-coloured calico, while sleak cc has striped gray and white fur. And while Rainbow is reserved, cc is curious and playful. "

Genetic Savings and Clone explain it here:
http://www.savingsandclone.com/cloning/x_link.html

It is about a genetic anomoly unique to calicos - and come to think of it, cats have quite a few genetic anomolies. So there is no guarentee , even if you have her entire pedigree, that the spots or what it is you want to reproduce will reappear in one of her babies. I have to admit if that is the only reason she is not spayed (that you are risking her health for that!!!!) that you are giving her grief for no good reason!!! Spay her!!!! The faster the better! I am sure you can find another one like her at a shelter somewhere!

Rocky is so beautiful Chico - how did you manage to uipload such a huge pict? :D

chico2
October 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I don't kmow CK it's a mystery to me :confused: in my album,it's only 56,8KB..

Lucky Rescue
October 15th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Saturn42, your girl is very pretty and i"m sure very special in your eyes, but trust me, she's not special to anyone else and tabbies are a dime a dozen - spotted, striped and even silver - and are being given lethal injections at shelters even as I write this.

Here's an example of the cats we've fostered because they were dumped. You wouldn't think someone would do this, but they do - in large numbers.