Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy ate a big piece of rawhide/Should i worry?

yoda900_ca
October 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
My 4 month old alaskan malamute just swallowed a big piece of rawhide. Normally i let him have a bone to chew till it gets smushy then take it away. (That usually takes about 4 hrs) but he worked thru this one in 1 hr and and before i could get the section he broke off he wolfed it down. Do i need to worry? A friend of mine said her dog got sick from rawhide. Should call the vet or am i over reacting?

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM
It's hard to say. I think if it was a huge piece, it would be easier to remove from the stomach than the intestines, so earlier is better. But then it might pass nicely, in which case it would be a waste of money. Definitely, whatever you do, watch the stools. If he is struggling to poop or not going at all, run to the vet.

.sarah
October 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM
The vet I work for reccomends always staying away from rawhide as it is so easy to choke on.

But, if he's not showing any discomfort he's probably alright, although I do think you should call the vet either way.

april07
October 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
also watch for vomitting as that can be a sign of blockage.

yoda900_ca
October 15th, 2005, 08:09 PM
i spoke with the vet last night. Said watch for vomiting and the runs. So far he has had niether. It's been 28hrs since if swallowed it. I haven't seen it come out the other end anyone know when i'm in the clear?

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Has she gone yet? I mean, did she pass any stool at all?

yoda900_ca
October 16th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Yes he's gone 4 times since the rawhide swallow. It's now 930am and he working on de-fluffing a toy. He ate his breakfast this am just fine but still no raw hide out the other end.

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Might have digested it.

StaceyB
October 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
What was the size of the piece that was swallowed?

yoda900_ca
October 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM
ok 48 hr's later-(the piece was about a 2x2 square the end of the knot flattened out) still eating fine. Today his energy is a little low and he pooped 5 times instead of his usual 3 but they were all fine (no Trots). But i haven't seen any rawhide come out yet either. When I saw low usually he is more rambunctious in the house he wanted to sleep in his crate alot today and not on the tile,but it was also alot cooler today. He usually lays on tiles when it's hot. Hew went 4 his 2 walks today just as happy as can be and played w/his boxer pup friend in the park for about 45min today non stop. he is drinking and eating fine.