Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A poem for my son

Shamrock
October 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I am working hard towards a healthy healing from the recent loss of my son, and feel I am making some progress. To express my feelings in words in something I find beneficial.

This is a poem I wrote last week. It's pretty simplistic in style :) but from my heart.
I thought I would share it with you. Though I have not been participating to the site much lately, I still like to come and read the posts. Such a caring group of petlovers.. I find it uplifting - good for the soul.

For Kevin. Aug 16/70 - July 30/05

A summer's day you came to us,
A summer's day you went.
How could we know how brief the years,
The time that would be spent.

The wondrous days of boyhood,
The carefree happy fun.
Of family times, of love and laughs,
A blessed time of sun.

The teens brought turmoil to your life,
As blue skies turned to rain.
We tried our best to help you,
To understand your pain.

But years went by, your suffering grew,
Then hopelessness, it seemed.
If only we had known, dear son,
We could have intervened

We know you tried your hardest
In your efforts to be strong.
A courageous battle that you fought,
But the road became too long.

Your days on earth are gone now,
Your sweet soul is set free,
Eternal peace with God is found,
As He embraces thee.

Now we face the world without you,
Our pain and anguish deep.
We werent nearly ready to say goodbye,
For a second chance we weep

But as that cant be, we can only look up,
To the stars and the heavens above.
And know that one day we will all meet again,
To share an eternal love.

In the meantime, our most precious one,
We feel your gentle touch.
Your spirit and presence surrounds us,
In the hearts that love you so much.

In summer you came, in summer you left,
In the midst of the summer of life.
Our only comfort to be, you are now set free,
Released from all suffering and strife.

Still, the sun will never shine as brightly,
The ocean not as blue,
The flowers will smell less sweetly,
For every summer without you.

----------

Best wishes to you all, and your families - human and furry! :grouphug:

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 03:20 PM
That's really beautiful. :grouphug:

doggy lover
October 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
That is beautiful, :angel: 's walk with us, I'm sure he is watching over you.

Roxy's_MA
October 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
What a beautiful tribute to your son. :love:

BMDLuver
October 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Lovely Shamrock. I'm glad to see that you are slowly healing. It's a long slow road but sharing is a good thing. :grouphug:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 15th, 2005, 08:55 PM
That is really beatiful, Losing a child at any age must be would be so painful. Kids should outlive us, but sadly it doesnt always happen that way. Once again I am very sorry for your loss.

Luvmypit
October 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Oh Shamrock that was beautiful! Honestly that was a very well written and well expressed poem. Borught tears to my eyes. I hope you know we all care and you can talk to us whenever and however you feel the need.
Its something that we cannot relate but we can listen.
Again thanks for the poem and sharing b/c I know you didnt have to but it really was a nice tribute.

God bless you!

Shamrock
October 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Thank you so much friends, for your kind words on my poem - I'm so pleased that you liked it. I have a scrapbook and a journal of writings that I am keeping. I find it quite therapeutic.

As this one seemed more reflective in tone, I thought to share "just" this one. So much sincere and caring support was offered to me here, and still is, and has meant so much to me.

In retrospect....I really hope this wasnt "too" depressing or upsetting to anyone. :sad:
I certainly have no "corner" on grief - it touches us all as some point in life, in different ways. Something such as this can be a real "'downer" to those already feeling blue, sad, or worried. That feeling is not something I wish to spread or add to.

For any of you who may be experiencing troubles in any area of your personal life..... I send you gentle healing thoughts and best wishes for brighter days ahead - and they "are" there - on the horizon. Life throws us all many challenges, we rise to meet them as best we can. This well-known verse applies in these instances:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
The wisdom to know the difference."

With love, :grouphug:
Fran

doggy lover
October 17th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Shamrock I find writing poetry for family that I have lost very therapeutic, I wrote one for my grandmother's funeral last year and for her year anniversary. Now it seems like we are going to have to go through this once more as my husbands grandmother has been diagnosed with cancer, and she has too many health problems for surgery, but she is 85 so she has had a good life. I can't emagine what you have gone through losing your young son. I helped a friend when she lost her infant, but it was not me. My heart goes out to you, be strong. :angel:

Luvmypit
October 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Shamrock you are in no way bring me "down" if anything your pure inspiration.

I am sure I can speak for all that any words about your precious son are nothing close to being a burden. I really enjoyed your poem and I realize that this whole situation is personal and thank you for sharing. It really is well written!

Copper'sMom
October 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Shamrock, that was a beautiful poem! It brought tears to my eyes. It was very well written - as is any poem when it comes from your heart. :grouphug: