Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sheltie is "huffing" and gagging sometimes

Mrs Bungle
October 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Hello there, I have a 10 year old shetland sheep dog, whos about 22 pounds.. He has no health problems except for needing some teeth removed and cleaned. We adopted him from a family member about 4 months ago. We began noticing that he does this huff, huff huff, noise then gags and nothing comes out, everyone once in a while.. He almost always does it in the middle of the night. It is on and off, sometimes he does it for a couple days straight (at night) and then wont do it at all for another week, or even do it once then never again for a while, and so on.

We have taken him to a veterinarian who couldnt seem to find anything wrong with him. We were thinkingn of getting xrays of his throat and chest to see if it is something there, although, the vet did give us an anti inflamitory it didnt seem to change things really. I have heard from some people that this sometimes happens with these types of dogs, but i wanted to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Thanks!

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Sounds like kennel cough to me. Some dogs don't cough, they just gag up some phlegm. It can last for a couple of weeks. Did the vet suggest it at all? I ask because there is a bad kennel cough coming from Ontario and a flu coming from the states that has almost the same symptoms. Seeing as your doggy is older, if it is kennel cough, he would be treated for possible secondary infections (like pneumonia). Just my opinion (I am not a vet). ;)

Mrs Bungle
October 14th, 2005, 03:03 PM
No, she didnt suggest taht at all.. This was a couple weeks back - perhaps she wasnt aware of the new strains, i have no clue...

I dont know for sure, but i think he may have always done this though? Like his entire life, maybe not as frequently, im not sure...

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Hmmm. All his life, eh? Maybe he just gets stuff stuck in his throat easier than other doggies do. Kennel cough is temporary.

Mrs Bungle
October 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Ya thats the thing.. My boyfriend who has lived with him from when he was a puppy up until a couple years ago, says he remembers him doing this from time to time..

But since ive never owned a sheltie I just want to get all my concerns out of the way before i just let it slide i spose..

Perhaps its a furball or something? Since he does have long hair...?? I just hope it doesnt develop into something worse.

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
When he coughs, does anything at all come up?

Mrs Bungle
October 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Nope, nothing at all, not even flem or stomach acid..

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM
How often does it happen?

Mrs Bungle
October 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Its almost always at night, happens maybe a couple times, a night, 1-3 times a week

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Does he eat anything prior to these episodes? Does he go out before? What is the context, if there is any?

Mrs Bungle
October 14th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Its basically like, around 10pm usually, we go and take him for a walk then an hour or two after that he comes upstairs to sleep, then by 3, 4, 5am he starts to do it.. i dont know if he is eating before this happens, but if he is its probably not much, we leave food out for him but not that much..

Btw, thanks for trying to help me out with this, its very strange :confused:

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Wow, that's a toughie. He might be licking himself more those days and getting hair caught in his throat... Does his stool have a lot of hair in it? Maybe on those days he's more anxious and eats more or eats faster at night?

walls110
October 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM
My JackRussell is huffing, gagging like and sometimes spits up phlegm or something that like looks like drool. She has outdoor allergies and I give her medication 2xday. She started this last night, was allright today and now is starting back. I don't know what to do

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 04:59 PM
If the spit is white, then it could be kennel cough either starting or ending. You should see a vet. :)

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Just a thought, but has he always been on heartworm preventative?

walls110
October 14th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Yes, she is on heart worm medicine. I forgot to mention that she has a cough. How can a dog get kennel cough?

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 06:10 PM
It's as easy as sniffing grass right after a dog with kennel cough passed by and coughed on it. It can also get sucked into concrete (concrete is porous) and be passed around that way. It can be airborne too.

walls110
October 14th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the information. She's going to the vet in the morning.