Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help me decide, boy or girl puppy?

rivers
October 14th, 2005, 10:31 AM
oh, wow, I am so excited. I have found a litter of min. schnauzers! Hopefully we will to choose one tomorrow.

My question is which sex to choose, male or female?
What are the different traits with each one, and the lows.

I will probably spay a female, but is it necessary to neuter a male, even if there is NO chance the dog will breed. I don't want to breed at all. Nope.

Help me decide what to get, a boy or girl?

Roxy's_MA
October 14th, 2005, 10:34 AM
It would be best to nueter the male to prevent any accidents, and it tend to mellow them out. The testorone can cause unwanted hyperness and aggressiveness.

As for male or female, it is really a personal choice.

TobsterMom
October 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Sometimes the females grow to be smaller than the males, but not all the time. Other than that, there really is no difference, just watch the puppies together and see which one has the best personality for you.

I love Mini Schnauzers...lucky you!

Beaglemom
October 14th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Some people say that there really is no difference between male and female others will say differently. I think that which ever puppy you fall in love with, regardless of sex, is the one that you should keep. Sometimes the puppy picks you!

As for neutering a male, yes it is extremely important and necessary to do so, unless of course it is a show dog used for breeding purposes. Unneutered male dogs are more prone to marking in the house as well as dog on dog aggression. They can also have more behavioural issues. Also, unneutered dogs are prone to some health issues and cancers as well.

Copper'sMom
October 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM
From my own personal experience, I have found females to be more protective and aggressive than males. Female dogs tend to act like female humans.........you know..........pms and all! lol

Regardless of what sex you choose, it is best to spay or neuter regardless. Spaying and neutering is better for the animal's health over all. Less chance of tumors and cancer in the reproductive organs for males and females. Less chance of behavioural problems, and unwanted marking, mounting etc. Although the mounting may still occur occasionally after the surgery!

My male is so laid back and my female is a little holy terror at times! lol But she is still young and hasn't matured yet. My mom's female dog is super protective and the one before her was too and so is my little girl. A few people I have talked to have said the same thing about females, but there are many reasons as to why they are the way they are besides which sex they are!

TobsterMom
October 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Another plus about neutering is sometimes when they are neutered before they discover "marking" things, they will never do it.

Toby is 2 and he squats, does the whole thing in one shot. It makes walking him much easier. People think he's a girl though. :D :D

Puppyluv
October 14th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I don't have this problem since Layla is female, but often people at the park will ask me if shes a female before I approach, and when I say yes, they sigh in relief and say "ok good, because he/she has big problems with unneutered males" A lot of people I have met won't let their dogs socialize with unneutered males, and it's not fun for you or for your dog to be the ostracized one, just because he still has his "manhood"

jessi76
October 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
My question is which sex to choose, male or female?

My best advice is to meet all puppies available, and let one of THEM choose YOU.

Beetlecat
October 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Toby is 2 and he squats, does the whole thing in one shot. It makes walking him much easier. People think he's a girl though. :D :D

My male dog is 16 months old, just got snipped yesterday, and people have always though he was a girl. Even the vet that signed him out (who had the neutering papers right in front of her) started talking about him as if her were female. I guess he's just a girly man :D

As for the pup, apparently unspayed females can be moody (giving a brillient proformance one day and bombing out the next) while males are a little more consistant. For he most part, spayed females act like neutered males. The breed (and breeding)is more important then the sex though.

As for the neutering/spay thing, I'm in the minority where I say it's only aboslutly neccesary if you're actively having problems with your dog. Or if city bylaw demands it.

My only exception is if you live in the country, because an unneutered male dog will almost always roam and then either attack something, get attacked by something, get hit by a car, or get shot. Unspayed females don't seem to roam, but you run the risk of having a roaming uneutered male finding her.

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2005, 12:19 PM
According to many statistics, a lot of dogbites involve unneutered adult male dogs. There can also be a big problem of them lifting their legs inside your home and/or being very aggressive with other male dogs.

A neutered male is more relaxed, since he is not being bombarded with testosterone which drives him to seek out bitches in season, and fight with other males.

Rottielover
October 14th, 2005, 12:33 PM
If you are getting the dog from a great breeder, then the breeder has done TT on all the pups. If that is the case tell the breeder what you are looking for in a pup, your household, what you plan on doing with the puppy. Then let the breeder pick for you. When this is done correctly there is a less of a chance the dog will find its way to rescue later in life. Not saying you will but many times they are just out for the money, then they just hand over and dog to any owner. Which can lead to many problems down the line.
And if you are Getting the puppy from a COE breeder they sell on a non breeding contract and will inform you that you MUST have the dog spayed or neutered before a certain age.( unless specified by the breeder he/she will be showing)
As for male or female. Does not matter each dog have their own personalities. One male could be dominant, as could a female from the same litter.
My best advice is to allow the COE breeder who have done the socialization with the puppies, and who should know thepuppies very well pick for you.
You will not be disapointed. JMO But I know many who have done this and they could not be happier, including myself

BeagleMum
October 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I have a male and a female, maybe you should get one of each?

I would just say get the one that seems to have the most energy. That way, there is a better chance of them being healthy.

People tend to feel sorry for the one that is sleeping or the runt. There is more chance of these dogs not being as healthy.

Like someone else said though, the dog will pick you. One of them will just catch your heart. Choose that one.

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 02:44 PM
If you're the one who will be bonding, get a male. Males, in my experience bond better with female humans and females with male humans. Males, once neutered are usually more laid back and easy-going than females. Females are more loyal and aren't as curious (they don't run away as easily). That's just my experience with doggies.

But definitely get the doggy neutered. You don't want him thinking about reproduction all the time, right? He'll try to run away more if he's not neutered. He'll be more aggressive and won't get along as well with other dogs later on. And he'll make you stop on walks to pee every 2 feet. :rolleyes:

doggy lover
October 14th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I have always had males as I prefer them, and I have had them neutered, they are easier to get along with that way. If you don't really care just go and enjoy yourself and let the pup pick you. ;)

BeagleMum
October 14th, 2005, 02:51 PM
If you're the one who will be bonding, get a male. Males, in my experience bond better with female humans and females with male humans. Males, once neutered are usually more laid back and easy-going than females. Females are more loyal and aren't as curious (they don't run away as easily).

I never really thought of that but that is true for me as well. My male is definitely a mama's boy and my female has bonded with Daddy. They are both great dogs though. Oh, and my male still squats to pee as well, and he is 11 months old. It's great.

doggy lover
October 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Travis was my husbands dog 199%, you couldn't even tell him my husband was bad without him getting mad at you.

Beaglemom
October 14th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Our dog Blacky was neutered at approx. 6 or 7 mths old. He will be 14 years old next month and he will most always squat but does lift his leg sometimes. He is also one of those dogs that still pees at every post, tree, etc.

Blacky did bond to my father really well. He adores both my parents. He will sleep by my father when on the couch, but will also follow my mother around. He will also wait for my father while he is in the bathroom. Misty bonded to me when she was quite young, now she will leave me for my husband or my father! Although, she still knows who her mommy is!

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Boo lifts his leg almost all the time. The only time he doesn't is when the neighbor's intact gsd comes on our lawn and pees all over it and Boo smells it and gets intimidated... :mad:

shannonRN
October 15th, 2005, 04:20 AM
If you're the one who will be bonding, get a male. Males, in my experience bond better with female humans and females with male humans.
Is that some sort of freaky doggie-oedipal thing???? :D In my house, my dogs both like me better. So there :p

I agree with whomever said "one of each." You'll be broke, but you won't ever have to wonder if you made the right choice, and they'll keep each other SUCH good company while they chew on your furniture and have accidents on your carpet....puppies are so fun! Especially 2 of them!

rivers
October 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Funny funny!

I'm on my way now to fetch puppy. Oh boy, what am I getting myself into!? will post pics as soon as I can.

smiles

jawert1
October 15th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I have a neutered male Pointer and a spayed female Shepherd/Chow and I can say for certain that each has it's advantages and disadvantages, however, I wholeheartedly agree that letting them pick you is the way to go. Congrats and good luck and can't wait to see the pics! :)

SnowDancer
October 15th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Boy pups - at least in our household have always LOVED! their Mommy. My male Eskimo who looks like a girl - I call him a "girly guy" - same situation I guess as Beatlecat. He also only lifts his leg when the ground is perfectly flat and he can stand on his left leg with his right leg at a perfect 90 degree angle. The little ballerina. The first time he ever lifted his leg was outside the vet's at age 7 months on the way in to be neutered. As far as neutering male dogs, no question for me that this be done. Temperament aside, my Dachshunds and now my Eskimo were all boy toys to the freqently unspayed young ladies on the street and once they reached the ages where they would be able to be the "studs" that the ladies wished for, the owner of the unspayed females would make stupid comments such as "my dog is much bigger than yours so he wouldn't be able to do the deed". Right - guess they couldn't see their dogs bending over - or in the case of my Eskimo how 22 lbs. of short stuff can stand pretty darned tall. The resulting puppies would not be my problem - except of course when the inevitable day would come when I would find a basket of puppies on my front steps. So I would neuter. I saw only a few episodes of Sex and The City - one being the episode where Charlotte's dog, Elizabeth Taylor, was gang banged in the park and became pregnant. My Eskimo, while male, attracts the ladies in the same way.