Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Microsoft Access

raingirl
October 14th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Anyone know Microsoft Access really well and can help me build a database?

CyberKitten
October 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
What do you need to know? I tend to use Oracle (am certified in it -way back when it was supposedly a good thing to wrack up all these certifications, lol (I am sure now they are quite worthless esp since I do not work primarily in IT tho I do a lot of stuff with tech and medicine) but I taught Access to some docs and pharmacists as part of a medical dbase (NOT the app!) we were setting up in the Maritimes. Are youidoing it from scratch (ie integrated VBA and Access) or just using a wizard? The wizards make it very simple. Tho with Oracle and cold fusion being the man sql things I do, it has been a few months since I have looked at Access. Access can be good fro someone who has to work with Office tho - since it integrates well with the other progs in Office, ie - converting Excel to Access,etc. Gawd, I sound like I am trying to sell it and as one who started programming with Basic, (think the old QBasic program that came with Commodore 64's and Vic 20's, lol), I tend to like to do sql from scratch. But I cheat and use wiazards on occasion -

anyway, it depends what you want to do with it. I think I can remember the VBA stuff - it's all Basic (the language) anyway.

dmc123
October 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM
raingirl,

I work with Access on almost a daily basis. Not an expert and I have been using it for over 10 years now. There are at least 25 that I have developed for different functions at my workplace, and some are pretty good. But, I learn something new on each one. It can be very powerful if you know how to use Visual Basic for Applications, but there are many database wizards that you could use and adapt as you need and as you learn.

If you want to learn it, I suggest an introductory class and then buy a good book. They have them in all stages of Access database development.

Good luck with a neat program.

Diane

CyberKitten
October 14th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I just thought too ( re the books which is a great suggestion dmc!) that there are some Access books online. I forget the url but will try to find it. I usually go there to read Laura LeMay's stuff- it is easier to search that than the physical books I have, lol