Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Damn Rain!!!

sjat24
October 14th, 2005, 09:08 AM
As most of you (montreal peeps) know, it just hasnt stop raining here!!!! I am getting so fed up becasue Raven hates the rain! I cant get her to step out the door, unless I have a bag of treats. WHich if i give her treats she gets to excitied that she wont pee or poo!
Do any dog owner here have the same problem? How can I get her to go out in the rain, its been days!

Rottielover
October 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM
You think you have it bad, try dragging an 18 month old child in a stroller with you for the morning walks. She gets wet, moody, Harley hates the rain, I am miserable.....WHEN WILL IT STOP :sick: :fingerscr

Melinda
October 14th, 2005, 10:17 AM
*L* I have a lab puppy that thinks rain is her personal shower and loves it, asks to go out so she can be "toweled" when she comes in, our walks consist of a double stroller holding an 9 month old and a 2 yr old, the 3 yr old walks along beside us. thank god the 7 yr old is in school. by the time we get back we all need a toweling down. And tomorrow is our Mutt Strutt for the humaine society in Cornwall

cpietra16
October 14th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I now live in Montreal and I know its bad, but trying living on Vancouver Island for 17 years and getting only 5 days of sun between the months of October and April. My lab doesn't mind walks in the rain, but she is 8 and was born in BC. My friend back home had made raincoats for her 3 dogs. That may be one solution. With my lab, when you have to go...you have to go.

Puppyluv
October 14th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Sjat, be persistant. You're going to have to desensitize her to the rain as much as possible. This means taking her out for tiny short walks and making them FUN!!! Yes you're going to end up really wet after all these excursions into the rain, but eventually she will willingly go out.

BeagleMum
October 14th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have the same problem. I had to literally push my two out the back door this morning to get them to go out. They both hate the rain, and hate it even more when I have to clean their paws when they come back in.

Spencer will actually get up through the night to go out for a pee and once he gets to the door and sees the rain, he lets out a sigh and turns around to go back to bed. I guess it is just easier to hold it until morning. The cute thing is that he thinks that he still deserves a carrot for doing that.

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 02:39 PM
My doggies get all riled up to go out and I open the door and they turn around. Boo goes out and stands there. Jemma won't go out at all unless I force her. Lucky for me they both do all their business on command... :D

maddoxies
October 14th, 2005, 03:16 PM
We have puppy pee pads as emergency back up when it is too inclement for little Valentin.

I can't wait for his rainsuit to arrive :-) He did not like the raincoat flapping about him. This will be a waterproof suit with four legs, more form fitting

I saw a leash with an umbrella on the cord to cover the dog. I did not think it would work for Valentin as I have to pick him up to get over the big puddles (Lake Ontario to a mini dachshund). It might work for something mini poodle size or bigger.

Oh for my goldens again, who adored bad weather. The trouble with them was convincing them to come back inside :)

chico2
October 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM
My neighbors little Cocker(Bailey)whom I walk every day,absolutely refuses to go anywhere in the rain,all I can do is put her back inside,hoping she will not pee or poop on the floor.
She's sooo cute though,just sits down and refuses to budge :D

jjgeonerd
October 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Just keep trying and she'll get used to it.

Gabby used to not like the rain when she was a pup, but we live in Seattle, so she HAD to get used to it. She doesn't even notice it now.

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I got a touristy shirt once from somebody who went to Seattle and it says: "Seattle Rain Festival: August 1 - July 31"

LM1313
October 14th, 2005, 05:42 PM
My dog hates the rain even worse than the cat! I guess no one ever told her she's part labrador. ;)

~LM~

the gang
October 14th, 2005, 05:49 PM
my 3 min pins hate the rain woke up to a poop this morning :evil: btw for you guys looking for a rain coats i have a wounderful lady who makes coats beds booties and great stuff drop her a line ruffncozy@sympatico.ca bev good luck hope rain stops but from what i heard all week end.

sjat24
October 15th, 2005, 12:03 AM
I have taken Raven out so many times today and yesterday and the day before...I am so glad though she is not doing "business" in the house.

Hubby and I are thinking about getting a rain coat for her, but I am hoping she'll just get use to it, after all she is a Lab arent labs made for water?

The other thing is she is sneezing alot I hope she isnt getting a cold. I dry her everytime we get back from our walks.
Anyhoo it looks like we have rain for another two more days.

Prin
October 15th, 2005, 12:05 AM
LOL It keeps spreading. The second half of Sunday was supposed to be sunny but now, the rain is pushing into Monday too... If you get up early tomorrow, the rain is supposed to stop for a few hours. (We'll see... :rolleyes: )