Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergy (picture is kinda yucky)

Dog Mom
October 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM
This is Zoe, I came home for lunch yesterday and saw these things on her nose. I called the vet and he said it was allergies, he asked me to email him a picture of the "wounds", so I did and he said that it was just allergies and that it's nothing to worry about, just to clean it with warm salt water. She was fine yesterday at 8am when I went to work and at noon she had these! I can't see an allergy manifesting it's self this fast. Should I get a second opinion? btw we havn't changed food, bedding, or anything that I can think of for that matter.

Dog Mom
October 14th, 2005, 08:17 AM
this is just another angle. sorry about the poor quality.

Trinitie
October 14th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I don't know a vet that can diagnose a skin irritation without doing a skin scraping to confirm.

To my untrained eye, it appears to be either bites or some sort, or boils. Allergies can manafest that quickly (just watch a person who's allergic to shellfish or peanuts), but I've never seen an allergy quite THAT severe.

If you trust your vet then I would recommend insisting on going in for a scraping. At this time of year wasps are going crazy looking for food, so it may be bites.

Dog Mom
October 14th, 2005, 09:17 AM
My thoughts exactly Trinitie. I have Severe allergies to shell fish and penicillin but I don't get a rash I stop breathing. When I said she was fine yesterday am she looked normal, and as you can see in the picture she is all swollen and lumpy! the dogs stay in the house during the day when I'm at work 8am-noon-1pm-5pm. They get let out before I leave and get let out again at noon then at 3 and I get home for the day at 5pm, And there is nothing on the other dogs,I gave them all a good look over last night just to be sure it's not contagious (sp).

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Boo had something similar and it was poison ivy.

I think you definitely need a new vet. NO vet I know would look at those pictures and not say "Come in right away". What's up with all these vets who don't have time for anybody? :mad: Once we get rid of all the puppy mills and get better abuse laws, then we'll move on to vet licences. Sometimes, I wish time moved a bit faster.

Sorry for the rant, but the bottom line is, this doggy needs to see a vet, preferably a new one.

Dog Mom
October 14th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Prin- I was told we don't have poison ivy here, and as I've stated before I live about 5 hours from the closest town with vets and I've already found out one is a total quack and now I'm thinking that this one is as well! I e-mailed the vet and told him that I need an appointment tomorrow morning, so we shall see what he has to say!

doggy lover
October 14th, 2005, 03:54 PM
It looks really sore, poor darling, I think taking her to the vet is the best idea, its worth the trip.

Dog Mom
October 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM
It is worth the trip! The hubby gets off work in an hour, my sister is staying at my house to take care of the rest of the "children" and we are going to drive in tonite and get a room, and be at the vets bright and squirrly tomorrow morning if he wants us there or not!!

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Don't forget (I know you won't) to update us. I'd like to know what these weird things are...

Dog Mom
October 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Well we went to our vet and he stuck to his original assupmtion without doing any tests. :mad: so we hit the road again and went to a different vet, he was very helpful, he wanted Zoe to stay overnight to do tests and find out what was wrong, so we went out shopping and every once and a while we'd come back to check on her. On Sunday we got a call from the vet saying that we could come in and pick up Zoe, it turns out she had an infection from a scratch or something on her face and he gave us cream, antibiotics and an anti-inflamitory (sp) that she takes for the next week! she's looking better already YAY :thumbs up

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Thank goodness you found a better vet. Geez, I felt so bad for you after the first couple of sentences. A sick furry is bad enough, but a sick furry who can't get help is really horrible. I hope that's the end of it. :fingerscr How far was the second vet from your home?

Dog Mom
October 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
The new vet is in the same city, so still 5 hours away. Don't worry Prin my sick furry's will always go to the doctor no matter how far they are away :thumbs up !

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM
At least the vet's in the same city and not 7 or 8 hours away... ;)

Dog Mom
October 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM
This picture was taken yesterday. It looks waaaaaay better, she still has about a week left of her meds :thumbs up

doggirl
October 24th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Zoe has that expression down pat doesn't she! :) She's very cute.

Dog Mom
October 24th, 2005, 11:39 AM
She hates having her picture taken :) pretty much every picture I have she looks the same way! Except when she is running away from the camera

Prin
October 24th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Yes, definitely looks better. I'm so glad it's all clearing up. You never found out what it was though, did you?

Dog Mom
October 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
The vet took swabs and even took some scabs :yuck: and ran tests on them, he said it definatly wasn't allergies and that it was an infection but he couldn't see if there was a wound or anything that could of gotten infected because of all the open sores on her nose, we have to take Zoe in to see him after she's done her meds just to run some simple blood tests and make sure the infection is gone. lets hope it is :fingerscr