Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stop eating grass?

Dogastrophe
October 14th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on stopping grass eating? Here is the situation ....

Lucy has always liked the taste of grass and will eat it with no ill effects. When we got Jack, he picked up Lucy's grass eating habit. On occassion, Jack will eat a bit too much, which causes him to throw up, usually in the middle of the night (his little tummy can't handle it as well as Lucy can). We will get woken up to him making gagging sounds as he trys to bring stuff up (watery liquid with a blade or two of grass in it). After expelling a small mouthful, all is well, and he'll go back to sleep.

The majority of the grass eating happens when we are at the park and he is off leash. He rarely eats it when on lead (mainly because we stop him).

Any thoughts?

BeagleMum
October 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I have the same problem. Sydney goes out in the back yard to play with Spencer and the two of them dig hole and eat the grass and dirt. This morning when I took her out for her pee, she threw up twice (nothing really came up) and then she was fine. She does this quite often and my vet told me that they eat grass because their stomach's are upset and need to throw up. I don't know if I really believe that because that would mean that both of my dogs ALWAYS have an upset stomach.

Dogastrophe
October 14th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I don't believe that it is always the case of upset stomach either. As it relates to Lucy and Jack, I don't think that it is ever the case (at least 99% of the time it's not the case). Monty will only eat grass when his stomach is upset (it is our biggest clue that he is a bit off that day). Lucy and Jack really enjoy the taste. Lucy will only eat long grass and is quite put out when I mow the lawn.

jackacc
October 14th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Same problem here too, but she doesn't throw up. She just eats a few blades here and there. My old dog growing up would basically mow the lawn, and then throw up. But Jinx (new dog) has not thrown up yet. I try to stop her but she loves it! (I have not mowed the lawn in 2 weeks so it is a little high which probably makes it look tastier. :)

rivers
October 14th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I had two dogs that always ate grass now and again, and the throwing up part was nothing to be concerned about. I was told by my vet, that eating grass seems to be a normal behaviour for dogs.
Here is a link I found that has some information. Hope this helps.

http://www.vetinfo.com/deatgrass.html

Dogastrophe
October 14th, 2005, 11:13 AM
The occassional throw up from eating the grass does not really concern me. What I don't like is being woken up and having to clean barf at 4am, which is why I want to prevent the initial behaviour.

doggy lover
October 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Dogs eat grass for different reasons, sometimes to help throw up and others to add something to their diet that they are missing. It is natural for a dog to do this, if it was doing it all the time I would talk to my vet about it though.

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Boo is the resident cow here... He can eat and eat and eat grass and never get sick. Out of habit, I tell him "no eating" and he stops till I stop looking again. :D

yoda900_ca
October 16th, 2005, 11:21 PM
may 4month old alskan malamute puppy loves to eat day old mowed grass clumps and bark chips. He never vomits and so far seems happy and healthy. My previouse mal loved to eat bark chips as well. The puppy also loves to steal rasberries of the bushes in our backyard. I think he's part bunny. ;)

Lissa
October 17th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Aside from teaching him a command that stops eating, you can try to feed him a small amount of his food before going to the park to see if having something in his tummy helps...or if possible, go to the park early so he hopefully vomits up any grass before everyone's asleep ;) !

My dog ate grass with a vengence every morning (mostly in the summer) - if I'd let him, he'd eat grass until it made him vomit. During the rest of the day he might graze a little but just as a snack!

These days, I find that Dodger only eats grass to make himself vomit if I have given him too many extras (scraps, treats etc...).

jjgeonerd
October 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Gabby eats grass all the time. She is somewhat of a connessieur (sp?) though as she definitely prefers the kind with long thick blades! :p She rarely throws it up though so I can't help with that. I think she's a lab/pit/cow mix! :D

Gripenfelter
October 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Some dogs throw up if they go to bed on an empty stomach.

Mine would throw up a yellowish green bile and I thought it was because he ate grass. My vet told me to give him a couple of cookies before bedtime and he did better.