Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

neuter and exercise

Beetlecat
October 13th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I did a thread search but, oddly enough, didn't come up with anything regarding this.

Ky got neutered today and I'm apparently not supposed to let him exercise for the next couple days and then only light leash walking for the two weeks.

Well, this isn't really the sort of dog you lock in your house for two weeks, so what sort of exercise could he do without ripping his stitches? An hour long leash walk? If I keep it below a run, then is that okay?

He really doesn't play with toys too much and is not satisfied to sit around and chew a bone for an hour, so the only entertaining things he knows and/or does is highly active things. Either he's running or sleeping.

To add, this a young, full grown dog of a particulaly active breed. The no exercise thing has me a little stumped. I can just imagine the basket case he'll be tomorrow, let alone next week or the one after.

lol. though right now he's just wandering around the house aimlessly and sedately. It's like he's in shock, wondering what just happened today, or maybe realizing he lost something but not sure what it is or where it is. lol. I feel like that somedays.

kimbilly
October 13th, 2005, 09:21 PM
My thoughts are with you. The week after Bentley got neutered was the toughest week ever.

We were also told to keep his energy low (right.. you don't know my beagle) which is not easy, so we did short walks often, this was not enough. He escaped his room (sunroom off kitchen) twice, this meant jumping a babygate with stitches and a cone on. He destroyed a chair, pillow and peed in the house. This is the only time we have ever seen destructive behaviour from him. It was the longest week ever, for both us, Bentley and the neighbours (he barks and cries if in the house alone, hence his safe room)

I hope you have a smoother week and good luck :)

Prin
October 13th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I think long slow walks are ok. You can also work on training too because it's low impact but mentally tiring.

The big no-nos are jumping, running, playing with other dogs, rolling in the mud and swimming.

Dogastrophe
October 14th, 2005, 08:35 AM
We tried to keep Jack "quiet" the day after his big snip. It was about as successful as pushing on a rope. When he got a bit too wild, we would settle him down some, otherwise we just kept a good eye on him. We checked his stiches / lower end every hour or so to make sure there were no problems.

A couple up the street from us were told that they should not let their dog go up and down the stairs following neutering. The put a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to prevent him from going up. He heard Dad upstairs and decided he wanted to see what was going on, so he jumped the gate, ran up the stairs at full speed, gave his hello, then turned around and jumped the gate at the bottom again. They decided to remove the gate.