Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My tenant is complaining!

Dina
October 13th, 2005, 08:36 PM
We have a 4 month old lab and an 8 year old boxer/mix. Our lab joined our family in August. When we are out, we keep them apart so the little one does not get into play fights with the older one. We make no big deal when we leave the house and once the door is closed behind us we hear no barking. Last night I came home a little later than usual and my upstairs tenant complained they were barking for hours! She also mentioned it happens all the time when we leave them alone. How can I correct this if I'm not there to stop the barking?

StaceyB
October 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Can you describe their setup.

Dina
October 13th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Can you describe their setup.
Rico the 8 year old is downstairs but is able to see what is going on upstairs as the stair area is gated. Karina is in a room seperated by a gate. No barking as I leave and I wait a few moments on the balcony... silence. So whatever has triggered them barking I have no idea.

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Perhaps you could set up some sort of recorder one day to check to see if your dogs are actually doing this. About 3 months after I got Layla (who never barks, at anything) My upstairs neighbour started calling me and leaving messages saying that she was barking "All day". I had a hard time believing this, but knew that if it was true, something had to be done. So I recorded her all day for a week, and she didn't make a peep. I confronted my neighbour about it and he agreed that it must not have been her, and I haven't had a problem since.

Heinz57
October 13th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Pupplyluv: You're a genius! :D

Prin
October 13th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I agree. My neighbors said that too, and I had a little recorder for classes that only tapes when there is noise, and there was one shot of 2 minutes of barking for the whole day. Don't punish your doggies till you know what they are really doing.

jackacc
October 13th, 2005, 10:32 PM
That is a great idea! I am thinking about setting up a PC camera and hooking it into my home network so I can see my dog when I am gone. Not that I think she is doing anything bad :angel: Just to see what she is up to :pawprint:

StaceyB
October 13th, 2005, 11:44 PM
That is an even better idea. Let us know what you find out.

Dina
October 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM
That is an even better idea. Let us know what you find out.

Well, we set up a new area so both dogs can be together. Downstairs in our playroom. I left them there today, I barred the stairs so they couldn't come up to the top. BARK BARK YAP YAP. uh oh. Yes, they are barking...
I tried to leave for 30 seconds...waited until they calmed down..walked in, ignored them for 15 seconds or so. Sat down on the couch. Tried it again, but this time 2 minutes...BARK BARK and wouldn't stop.
So what do I do now? I have to leave for work in 45 minutes!

_gemini_
October 21st, 2005, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately I don't think you're problem is going to be solved in 45 minutes. :(

Could you please give us some more details? Who's the one that initiates the barking, what is the dog's (after having viewed the tape) behavior prior to the barking, and while barking. Hopefully this information might provide a little more insight.

catsnatcher-CDN
October 22nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
People usually react negatively if they think that nothing is being done about the problem. I gave my sister this advice and it held off the neighbors while she was training her yelpin' chiuaua:

Get a bottle of wine and a basket of goodies (the kind with chocolates and cookies) Explain to your neighbors that you are training them to stop barking and that it may take 6 to 8 weeks. Apologize for the rucus and thank them for their patience. Then give them the basket and the wine.

If this doesn't work and they give you an ultimatum, some emergency solutions (to accompany training):
1. take one or both dogs to a doggy daycare during the day so that the neighbors get a break
2. An exercised dog sleeps all day! Take him for a long run/play session before work. Let them get all that energy out of his system. Chances are they may sleep throughout the day if they've been overstimulated.