Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sick puppy

Sherryjewer
October 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I have a 7 week old puppy that had bad diarherra 6 days ago, since then he has been doing very well. Today he is constipated. A volunteer came by and gave him some mineral oil and told me he should use the bathroom soon. It has been 2 hours since and he is groaning and whimpering and still trying to use the batroom but still can't. The spca said that he may have chewed something up and have a blockage but I spend every minute with him or he is safely in his kennel. He hasn't pooped or peed since this morning.
Help!!!! It cost a small fortune to go to the vet but I will if I have to. He is not dehydrated, but I don't know what else to do for him. Should I just go the vet?????

Roxy's_MA
October 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I would go to the vet just be on the safe side.

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Not peeing and not pooping are completely different issues. I think this will require a vet visit (especially b/c of the lack of urination) Until you get to the vet, you may want to try giving the puppy a stomach massage, starting from the ribs and progressively moving downwards. If it is simple constipation, this will help move it along. There is likely an underlying issue though, and the massage alone won't fix it, just provide some temporary relief.

coppperbelle
October 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I have been to Newfoundland. Everything is far away. Is there a vet that you can at least contact, if not visit? It is not normal for a puppy to not pee all day. Constipation is one thing but if he is not peeing it could be something more serious.

Please keep us updated.

justncase
October 13th, 2005, 10:25 PM
.... Today he is constipated. A volunteer came by and gave him some mineral oil and told me he should use the bathroom soon. It has been 2 hours since and he is groaning and whimpering and still trying to use the batroom but still can't....l. He hasn't pooped or peed since this morning.

Sherry , is it possible that what you are taking to be symptoms of constipation are really symptoms of a blocked urinary tract? It can sometimes look like constipation- straining, whimpering, groaning- but these are also signs that the urinary tract is blocked and the puppy may not be able to urinate, the bladder distends, and the toxins back up into the system poisoning it. It is a very strong possibility that this is what your puppy has. Constipation will not stop an animal from urinating and if your puppy has not urinated since this morning there is alot of urine in the bladder that is not being eliminated. I think this is an emergency situation. Please take your puppy to a vet right away. This type of thing can kill in a matter of hours- and painfully too.

Trinitie
October 14th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I think this is an emergency situation. Please take your puppy to a vet right away. This type of thing can kill in a matter of hours- and painfully too.I agree wholeheartedly!

The bladder may be full to the point of rupturing. Going to a vet may fix the situtation with a simple catheter, at least to ease the pain.