Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog in a New apt ???

Rottielover
October 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi guys, and gals. I do not know if you remember, but I was looking for a place to move out, that would accept My rottie. Well good news, I found a place, and will be soon starting a new life alone.
With my daughter and my Harley of course. We are on the first floor, and easy access to outside
My question for you, is right now at 1 yr old Harley no longer goes in his crate during the day. Would it be reccomended to recrate him in the new place for awhile. At least until he accepts the new place as his new home. Or do you think he will be ok out.
How have your dogs reacted to a move?
I am so worried that he will not be ok, it is alot smaller than the place we have now.

Dukieboy
October 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Hi!

I just moved and the boyz seem to be adjusting well. I made a point of not washing the sheets making sure they had all thier "stuff" old toys etc. Duke is a little freaked out by the forced air furnace, we had electric before so he doesn't seem to get it. I am not an expert but re crating may make it more stressfull. Hopefully you will have a day off after moving? Try going out for short periods to help him slowly adjust. When walking, take the same route, close to your home for a week. Try to keep to a routine.

BMDLuver
October 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I've moved about 8 times in 12 years and the dogs always seem fine as they recognize all their stuff and our stuff. I would let him have free rein.

Dogastrophe
October 14th, 2005, 07:39 AM
If he is doing fine out of the crate now, I don't see any need for you to recrate him at the new place. You and your daughter are still there, all of your stuff will be there, etc. He will quickly figure out that this is his new castle. :pawprint:

shannonRN
October 15th, 2005, 02:40 AM
I also had no problems with moving my dogs. In fact, it was after moving the first time that we were finally able to train Rommel out of a few troubling habits--a new environment can be a good thing.

I would make sure that he remains well crate-trained, so that he will still 'like' his crate, but only use it if you find you need to.