Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newbie and Newborn Kitten Question

kianpa
October 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Hello! I own two adult cats and (now) four kittens that are five days old. Last night, my little Mama Cat deicided to tip the laundry basket over and hide her four kittens under the my bed! (I think she did this, as I was sleeping and didn't see her do it... but I'm sure the kittens didn't get from one end of the room to the other on their own!).

The basket was also tipped earlier in the day, with only one kitten found about 3 feet away (the rest were still in the basket). I thought Mama had done this accidentely, either hopping in or out. But now, I think she is doing intentionally.

Can anyone tell me why??? We have been keeping her in a warm (not hot), quiet, and fairly dark place. Although we have to move her out of the bedroom and into the living room during the day while we are at work (still in a good spot with a blanket hovering approx a foot from the top of the basket to keep it a bit darker).

I'm hoping that she isn't trying to hide them on us... And if she is... why? She has not seemed angry or skittish at all. She is being a good mother (for her first litter). We haven't been handling them (except for me, now and then petting the kittens gently).

Thanks,
Kianpa

BMDLuver
October 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Would the other cat in the home be the intact male? If so, I would suggest keeping him removed from mom cat and kittens. She may not be happy with where they are located. Also, a laundry basket is extremely tippy which probably is not helping.

StaceyB
October 13th, 2005, 03:21 PM
If she feels that this place is not secure enough or that she is constantly bothered she will move them as she has done to a safer space.
Keep the male away as she can get pregnany again almost right after giving birth. I would actually do even better than that and get that male fixed.

kianpa
October 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Thank your for replying. I will see if she moves them again and try to tend to her needs for more privacy.

The male cat in my house is not the father. (He has been 'fixed') Unfortunately, my son let the female outside while we were away on vacation. That is how she ended up with kittens! (And I intend on getting her 'fixed' now as well!)

CyberKitten
October 13th, 2005, 08:56 PM
It is not abnormal for mama to move her kittens. What you think is a safe and secure area may not always jive with her own notion of that. The further away from everyone the better so that she and the babies have a good place with lots of privavcy and where the kittens cannot get out. Many breeders I know have birthing areas especially for their Queens so that the other cats in the home so not have access to the kittens. Mama should be able to get in and out but the area should be high enouh to keep the kittens in. She will not like you moving them around too much and they need to be protected. She may have thought the area not secure enough for her - of for example, many visitors of all species were looking in the new family. Or it may be totally safe and she just thinks this area is better.