Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hot Spot

oreokitty
October 13th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Good morning!

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of hot spots? Our dog has one on his leg that he keep licking and we have tried everything. Bitter spray, vet gave us some cream (total waste of money), cone, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

BMDLuver
October 13th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Depends on where it is on the leg but if it's from elbow to toe area then you can put on a loose cotton sport sock and vet wrap it at the top in place. The cotton allows it to breath. Of course, depending on the dog, they may still pull it off and eat the sock.

BoxerRescueMTL
October 13th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I give my dogs these products http://www.nzymes.com , I buy the "yeast kit". They work wonders. We even had a rescue who came in covered in hot spots-it was brutal. After a week on the Nzymes, they had mostly healed and scabbed. They can be a little pricey but I find they last a long time and for me they are worth it.

Bearsmom
October 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Bear used to get wicked hot spots, and after many many many trips to the vet for medication, shaving, wearing the cone, we finally figured out he was allergic to his food. Once we switched the food, he hasn't had one since.

They're a pain, and getting the dog to not lick them is a challenge, but the cone worked for Bear.

Keep us posted.

melanie
October 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM
charlie (9yo GSD) gets them when swimming in dirty waters... she gets them on her big rump, right at the hips. hot spots are caused by a mite under the skin, the same sort of mites can cause mange and other skin disorders, jsut depends on their circumstances (dont worry bout that thou different stuff).

for hot spots and im talking big ones, size of a palm stuff, the vet said it is important to keep it incredibly dry and to remove the mites. the vet sugests and i do this, you scrub the area gently with warm salty water, try to gently wash of the top layer of the scab (thats if its not too horrid) and give it a good clean. the pat dry and keep totalyl dry. the removal of the top of the scab removes the habitat of most of the mites who go with the skin. i have found this is the only way to effcxtivly treat nasty cases of hot spots.

topical treatments will jsut burn up your money, i have yet to find anything topical that works....

no salty water and a good scrub and dry is all that has ever worked for me.

good luck with it