Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eye discharge in Dog

Eternity
September 2nd, 2003, 12:52 PM
My 6yr old Dalmation has had a thick discharge from one eye for about 2 days. Should I be concerned?
Thanks
Eternity

Pachiz
September 2nd, 2003, 02:44 PM
If it doesn't go away, then yes. It sounds like either something got in there and it's trying to make its way out, or a little infection. Keep an eye (no pun intended) on it for another day or two, if it's not getting better or looks worse, then he'll probably need antibiotics.

Pachiz

Eternity
September 2nd, 2003, 03:28 PM
Thank you for your reply. It doesn't seem to bother her or she doesn't squint, etc..I am hoping it's just a fall cold or something..
Thanks again
Eternity

Carina
September 2nd, 2003, 04:00 PM
If the discharge is thick and yellow/green in colour, that usually indicates a bit of infection...if it's a cold or airborne allergies their eyes are more likely just to water a bit, like tears.

Shouldn't cost much to have the vet take a quick look and prescribe antibiotic eye cream; like pachiz says give it a day or two in case it resolves itself, but after that I'd take her in; you don't want it to get worse. (I had a foster dog who'd lost an eye from an untreated infection.)

Eternity
September 2nd, 2003, 04:11 PM
Oh my! Well, I will watch very closely. I have been wiping it with warm water on a washcloth. She seems to like that alot..LOL!
Thanks for all your help.
Eternity