Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very trivial poll of the night!! Jam or Jelly?

Prin
October 12th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I'm passionate about Jelly. There isn't enough jelly variety at the store. I assume it's because you all are jam eaters. It's actually quite aggravating to have to eat a certain jelly for a month because it was the only one the store had.

Why? Why do you choose jam over jelly?

With Jelly, you only have to take about a 1/2 tsp for a whole piece of toast. Jam requires much more. And the seeds?! That's not the kind of crunch I'm looking for in the morning. Jelly might not have as many nutrients, but face it, jam doesn't count as a fruit either.

So what do you eat? Jam or Jelly? Or in the rare case, Marmalade? Why?

TobsterMom
October 12th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Jam. I love homemade strawberry jam. My mom used to make it when we were kids, we never had jelly growing up. I like jelly, but jam reminds me of home.

Prin
October 12th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I really wish I knew somebody who makes jelly and shares it... My auntie makes it, but doesn't give much away...

StaceyB
October 13th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I don't have it often but I would choose jam, the more berries I can see the better.

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I'm a complicated person :rolleyes:
I prefer Jam, but only if it's raspberry, blackberry or my granny's homemade Quebec wild strawberry jam.
For my toast, the only jelly i'll have is blackcurrant or my granny's homemade crabapple jelly.
On roast chicken I have red currant jelly (NEVER anything else)
On roast lamb I have mint jelly
I am a huge honey fan, but only if it's creamed, unpasteurized honey.
Phew, that was a load off :o

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Prin if you're willing to "mail order" there's a woman in Mont-Jolie who makes exquisite Jams and Jellies, and I think it's the jellies that she specializes in. A little far, but let me know if you want her info.

BMDLuver
October 13th, 2005, 07:21 AM
lol puppyluv, we have very similar condiment choices!

I like both, jam or jelly but it must be home made. One of my favorite things is baked brie/camembert with hot red pepper jelly. Yummy!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 13th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I like E.D Smith Jam. But if we are out in the morning its Cheez Wiz on toast yum. :)
Favorite is jam and cream cheese though yum. :D

raingirl
October 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
aren't they the same thing?

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 08:15 AM
aren't they the same thing?
Jam and Jelly? no, deffinately not
Jam has a lower pectin content and is made from boiling fruit. (think chunks) while jelly has a high pectin contact and is made from fruit juice and is sieved so it's smooth (like jello). Then there's preserves, which are the same as jams but contain seeds, and then there's marmalade which has citrus rind in it.

BeagleMum
October 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I love them both so it is hard to choose. Just not marmalade. YUK

Roxy's_MA
October 13th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I'm with Joey.E.CockersMommy - I love my Cheese whiz on toast. I eat peanut butter as well, but it has to be Skippy the Squirell or Kraft.

The odd time I will eat Jam. I prefer it over jelly, because I actually like the seeds and the chuncks of fruit. My favorite is mom's homemade Starwberry-Mango or just plain old raspberry.

BeagleMum
October 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I'm with Joey.E.CockersMommy - I love my Cheese whiz on toast. I eat peanut butter as well, but it has to be Skippy the Squirell or Kraft.

The odd time I will eat Jam. I prefer it over jelly, because I actually like the seeds and the chuncks of fruit. My favorite is mom's homemade Starwberry-Mango or just plain old raspberry.

I enjoy PB as well but it has to be Kraft CHUNKY.

I can not eat raspberry jam, I HATE the seeds.

jessi76
October 13th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I actually prefer the seeds, so it's raspberry jam all the way for me. on occassion I'll go w/ the orange marmalade.

cheese wiz on toast?!

I'm stickin with the jam.

SarahLynn123
October 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Definatly Jam, if its store bought it has to be raspberry! Home-made I have never had a better jam then my mothers blueberry rhubarb! I really wish she would make more!!!!!

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I'm a huge fan of apple-butter. Ooo and for a special treat, nutella... yummmmmmmm

Prin
October 13th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Grover, if you don't like raspberry seeds, why not try raspberry jelly?

To me, even strawberry jelly is worth it (Smuckers makes it). ooo and Welch's grape jelly. mmmm. I also like the Bonne Maman Raspberry/Red Currant jelly, but it's hard to find sometimes. Blackberry jelly too. Yey Jelly!

I've never had apple butter...

For peanut butter, it has to be Squirrel. I'm mad at them though because they don't have the peanut on top anymore. :mad:

Nutella I'll only eat on English Muffins. Sweet and salty... mmmm.

Puppyluv, where's mont Jolie?

Roxy's_MA
October 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM
For peanut butter, it has to be Squirrel. I'm mad at them though because they don't have the peanut on top anymore. :mad:

I think Skippy Peanut butter and Squirrel Peanut butter must of merged companies. I noticed it is now called Skippy the Squirrel peanut butter, and the peanut is gone from the top. I agree thay should have kept that peanut. :(

Prin
October 13th, 2005, 02:21 PM
It was like a little surprise every time. :sad:

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Mont-Joli is near Rimouski, which is about a 5-6 hour drive up the St Laurent from here, on the South Shore.

melanie
October 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM
just when i thought i had the evidence to prove you all freaks and get yas committed, i saw the mention of mint jelly and it all made a bit fo sense. but mint jelly is the only jelly i know that goes with that sort of food, i really only know the jelly that goes with icecream, you know it sets in the fridge, big jolly mess yummmmmm....

but i have heard mention of penut butter and jelly sandwiches in us tv and such, so i am assuming its also made sweet....

we have jam, lots of jam, but only jam.....you ppl have way too many choices, its frightening, it would take forever to do the shop with such variety.

and i only ever eat vegemite on my toast, as do many a fellow country man/woman. yuck i would never eat jam on toast, or much of anything except for strawberry squished between two soft light, fluffy sponge cakes with alot of cream on top, yuuuuummmmmmmm......

hey is your jeppy made from pigs trotters???? i buy the vegan jelly dry and make to set in the fridge.... most jelly used to be made from pug trotters, that is their little hooves :o

your a strange mob arent ya's :D :angel: (<hey i used an apostrophe in there, my grammer improves lol lol)

doggy lover
October 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I like jam most of the time but then I like marmite once in a while.

kimbilly
October 13th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Marmite on Toast - for sure

Peanut Butter & Strawberry jam on fresh bread... hmmmmmm

Melanie, the jelly thing was new to me when moving to Canada, you would be surprised the selection of stuff here.

doggy lover
October 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I had never heard of mint jelly on lamb until working in the dietary dept. of a nursing home, I have always used mint sauce. But having tried it, its not too bad. Must be a Canadian thing :ca:

Roxy's_MA
October 13th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Melanie, the jelly thing was new to me when moving to Canada, you would be surprised the selection of stuff here.

My sister-in-law's brother is living in Australia at the moment. He said on Thanksgiving he could not find canned pumpkin anywhere. He asked his mom to send it down. I just find it odd, you don't think about the little difference in food, when the cultures seem pretty similar.

Mel- have you ever had pumpkin pie before?

:sorry: I know this is a little of topic

Prin
October 13th, 2005, 09:40 PM
No worries, it's a trivial thread. I doubt if anybody will ever come to pets.ca looking for jam and jelly answers... :D

Melanie, our jelly is just hardened fruit juice. It's like jello, but with way more real fruit. :) Like jam without the texture. Tasty.

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I think the only way to eat nutella is on a slice of 12 grain country harvest bread, not toasted, but room temperature. MMMMM now that is good bread....
As per Jelly, I have these issues with the Welch's Grape Jelly that comes in a squeeze bottle (like the Bic Relish squeeze bottle) It's just wrong. Jam and Jelly belongs in mason jars and only mason jars.

Roxy's_MA
October 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I feel the same way about the Miracle Whip in the squeeze bottle. It just seem gross squeezing it! It should be in a jar.

jiorji
October 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM
*squints*
I don't see Nutella on there Prin!!! :mad:

*mmm Nutella breakfast :thumbs up *

LavenderRott
October 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM
LOL! I like Raspberry Preserves on my toast although some good apple butter is nice too. I like raspberry cream cheese on plain bagels and garlic and chive cream cheese on onion bagels. Oh, and peanut butter and honey sandwiches are yummy.

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
*squints*
I don't see Nutella on there Prin!!! :mad:

*mmm Nutella breakfast :thumbs up *
I know. I thought we were more mature than that. :o :D

I should just pm everybody, "So I'm gonna ask this tonight and I have these answers already. Am I missing something?" :D So much practice, so far from perfect. :(

jiorji
October 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I know. I thought we were more mature than that. :o :D

I should just pm everybody, "So I'm gonna ask this tonight and I have these answers already. Am I missing something?" :D So much practice, so far from perfect. :(

haha
I think I'll still gonna have Nutella when I'm 50 :D

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
No, when you're 50, you're more sophistocated so you'd call it "Ferrero Rocher Spread". :D

Puppyluv
October 14th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Mmmmm speaking of which, when I was younger I used to babysit for a caterer who was really good friends with Bernard Callebaut (probably only known by Calgarians) and she used to bring home his chocolate-hazlenut spread for me whenever she was at his house. It would be worth the $30 for that heaven in a jar....

Prin
October 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Mmmmm speaking of which, when I was younger I used to babysti for a caterer who was really good friends with Bernard Callebaut
Is that watching a baby while cursing in French? :D I cot it befor yew cud eddet it. :D

melanie
October 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM
pumpkin in a tin, whoooo there nelly, no way hoseee. we only have pumpkins, if you want it in a tin here you need to cook it first, then insert into tin yourself :D

and no we dont have pumpkin pies, i did think of making one once but then was scared off, pumpkin just cant be sweet in my eyes... and no one would have eaten it so it would have been wasted. nope pumpkin here either comes in soup, mashed with salt, or deliciously baked, yuuuuummmmm i love baked pumpkin....

oh nutella, delish, just love it by the spoon, thank you america for such a blessing :angel: :D

the only jeppy i takke is your jello, you know santa stuff ie 'had a big belly that giggled like a bowl full of jelly' yep that stuff.

marmite, hey are you a new zealander?? i thought they were the only ones who consumed tat stuff, ewwwwww.... nah even my NZ sister only takes vegem,ite these days, thank god, how unpatriotic of her :angel: :D (she just got permission to become aussie yay joining the right team there l ove) :D :angel:

Prin
October 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Melanie, I think Nutella comes from Europe. They have all the good stuff over there... :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 15th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Pumpkin Cheese Cake
Pumpkin Mousse
Pumpkin Latte yum yum yum

Prin
October 16th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Pumpkin latte? :yuck:

Puppyluv
October 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM
No no no Prin, it's:
Pmupkin Latte? :thumbs up
Yummmm I love all things pumpkin, savourry and sweet, but my two faves are pumpkin soufle and pumpkin stew. I love fall food :)

Prin
October 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
ewwww. That's all I have to say about that...

Vanillaaaaaaa..... Pummmmmpkin.....Vanillaaaaaaa..... Pummmmmpkin....
Nope, Vanilla wins every time. :D

glasslass
October 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM
No no no Prin, it's:
Pmupkin Latte? :thumbs up
Yummmm I love all things pumpkin, savourry and sweet, but my two faves are pumpkin soufle and pumpkin stew. I love fall food :)

Yum! Homemade pumpkin pie! I just had my first Pumpkin Spice Latte last weekend and it was sooooo good!

Make my choice homemade, thick-cut, lemon & orange marmalade. This is California, so we have lots of citrus. Also love chutney, jalapeno jelly, red pepper relish, and peach butter. Peach butter takes lots and lots of peaches (also in large supply here) and long, slow cooking. MMmmmm! Oh! And can't forget apricot syrup!

Old picture but the pies still come out the same!

Puppyluv
October 19th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Peach butter sounds so good! I'm a huge fan of apple butter, but like peaches more than apples, so can only imagine how heavenly it would be... too bad peachers are gone for the year here.