Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog thinks my daughter is lower on the scale then he is

free
October 12th, 2005, 07:29 PM
HI, (I am typing for my mom). My dog is around 2 years old and we just adopted him on monday 3 2005 (He is an airedale.) When i am trying to get him to lie down (or train him or play with him) he gets really excited and starts to bite me and mouth me. If I stand up and ignore him he jumps on me and grabs my arms and holds it in his mouth or he bites my feet that I fall over (or when he jumps because I am not as strong as him I fall over...I am 15). If he gets me to the ground he stands on top of me and bites my arms and legs or takes a hold of my hand and tries to drag it. If i grab a hold of his mouth, once i release he does it again (even if i am persistent this could go on for awhile). I don't know how to stop him from doing this to me. I think he thinks i am another dog or someone lower in class then him. I know he is just trying to play but this has to stop.
Thanks a lot for your input.

StaceyB
October 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I would suggest getting enrolled into training with your dog so that you can begin to develop a leader relationship with him.

Heinz57
October 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM
My 2 boys are 15 as well and they went through this to a lesser degree along with their 11 an 13 yr old sisters while Einstein was growing up too. The pup seemed to think he could grab them like they were puppies. A LOT of firm
(not yelling, just louder and like you really mean it) 'NO biting' and 'Off' should take care of it. Like Stacey said, any training class where it's you and the pup will be awesome for the two of you to interact and he see's you're above him in the pack woul be ideal. Best of luck with your new dog!