Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have 2 Cat questions

Roxy's_MA
October 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I noticed last night that KC has some pimple looking things on her chin. I assume this is cat acne from what I have read and what it appears to be. My question is should I take her to the vet for this, or can it be treated at home with human acne medicine.

My second question how can I stop my kitten from peeing and pooping in my big potted plant? Salem is 4 months old and he has not been fixed yet, he will be fixed in 2 months. When I see him doing it I tell him no and put him in his litter box. My problem I am obviously not catching him enough judging by the poop I had to dig out of the plant.

I have 3 litter boxes for my three cats. They get cleaned daily.

PetFriendly
October 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM
You should probably go to the vet to confirm the acne. There was a really good thread in the health section I think.

For the litter boxes, are the all in the same place? And is that place far from the 'living area of the house' like in the furnace room? It might be a case of not wanting to miss the action? Or it might be that everyone else has already used the boxes, or he prefers the feel or smell of dirt.

Try spreading the boxes around the house, each in a different place.

chico2
October 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I got some good feline acne medicin from the vet and it cleared it up in no time,but it looked like little blackheads under Vinnies chin.
As for pooping in a plant,here's a pic of Rocky in a plant,guess what he's doing????But he was only a wee baby :D

Roxy's_MA
October 12th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I will call the vet and make an appointment for KC.

As for the litterboxes they are kept in a closet (They are the only thing in there) all together with the door left only a crack open. I will take the adivce and try spreading them around the house. My dog likes to go digging in the litterbox while I am at work, so I will have to find two more places that are doggie proofed.

chico - Rocky looks so cute, how can you be mad at a face like that.

Lucky Rescue
October 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
To keep the kitten from digging in the plant, you can try crumpling tin foil and putting it all around the base of the plant. Most cats hate the feel of tin foil. Sharp stones sometimes work too, as does two sided sticky tape crisscrossed across the soil and stuck to the pot.

Roxy's_MA
October 12th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks Lucky

I will try the tinfoil first. If that doesn't work then I will try the two sided tape.

cpietra16
October 12th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I had a huge pot at home with an ornamental fig tree..needless to say the cats loved to potty... and climb the tree. I put a stop to the peeing and pooping by placing chicken wire close the soil. Cut the wire in a shape of a wrap-around skirt and place it right on top of the earth; The cats hate the feel of it. As for the climbing....they all got too big and heavy for it so that stopped naturally.

LoNScamp
October 12th, 2005, 11:32 PM
When I had four cats, I tried everything, foil, rocks, even put stick in to make kind of a tent from the stems of the plants to the edges of the flower pots. I finally solved the problems by getting rid of the plants. Not such a bad thing, one less living species to worry about. They also ate some of them, not a safe thing for the kitties to do.