Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat's Back Ripples

KarenS.
October 12th, 2005, 04:22 PM
My 2 year old female, (indoor only, spayed) cat has always had running spurts throughout my apt. in the evenings. However, in the last while I have noticed that her back ripples just before she runs. This rippling makes her very agitated and then she runs. However, mid way through her run, she will stop and then start to lick her back, near her back leg. She is extremely agitated when she is licking. As the rippling gets worse, so does her agitation and licking. She runs, stops, licks, runs, stops, licks, etc. While her back is rippling, she looks like she is absolutely terrified, as if she has no idea what is happening to her. If I coo and talk very softly to her, asking her to come to me, she will settle down and the rippling stops. I am thinking it is part of her "exercise" as it happens most evenings between 6:45 and 7:00 (talk about a routine!).

Has anyone heard of this, and more importantly, should I be concerned about it?

Thanks so much for your help and guidance!

PetFriendly
October 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
One of our cats does the same thing and we calm him down the same way. He's a neutered male, about 4-5 years old. I looked it up on the net once and come up with something called "Feline hyperesthesia" . There are a number of symptomes and our vet, because all Merlin does is the rolling skin, over-grooming (but not to the point of hurting himself) as well as the run-like-someone-is-chasing-you thing, said to just keep an eye on it and call back if it got worse (read: if we just couldn't stand him meowing anymore at weird hours) or if he started actually hurting himself. He's been doing this for over two years, but not every day, sometimes he won't do it for weeks.

You'll get tons of info if you google it, and expect that your vet might not have heard of it, only the senior vet at our office knew what we were talking about.

justncase
October 12th, 2005, 04:47 PM
What your cat is doing exactly describes a cat who has fleas. Please do not use an over-the -counter product (and definitely not Hartz). You could get something from a vet but one non-toxic , safe and effective approach is to rub some brewer's yeast powder into her fur and vacumn often.

PetFriendly
October 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Keep in mind that fleas can come in on you, then jump to your cat, so even though she's indoors only, you might want to get some good quality flea stuff from your vet to rule that out.

chico2
October 12th, 2005, 05:31 PM
My cat Rocky does the exact same thing every day around 2:30 :D and he does not have fleas :confused:

PetFriendly
October 12th, 2005, 05:50 PM
My cat Rocky does the exact same thing every day around 2:30 :D and he does not have fleas :confused:

Then it might be some version of the hyperesthesia (it can go from mild to severe according to my reading)

chico2
October 13th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Petfriendly,I'll have to look into it.I never thought of Rockys"crazies"to be a medical problem..they all get like that a couple of times a day,but Rocky is the only one,with what seem to be ripples along his spine.

KarenS.
October 13th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks to all for your replies. I will look up hyperesthesia (and will also check for fleas). I feel a lot better now that someone else is experiencing the same thing.

:thumbs up You are the best! :thumbs up