Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Sitting Services

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 12th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Has anyone used a dog sitting service. We are going away in Nov for one week and we are trying to make arrangements for Joey.

I thought a dog sitting service might be the way to go. The one I checked out charges $25 for a one hour visit, plus $40 for staying overnight. We may get a friend that used to live on our block to come dog sit for us. She has already offered her services and has had dogs in the past.

Our other option is bring Joey up to the kennel, which I originally did not want to do, as I thought it might be better for him to stay at home. But they do have indoor kennels and the dogs are taken out 4 times a day to run on the fenced 10 acre ranch. They are also given a bath at the end so he is clean at the end of his stay. All for $12 and they would get more attention then the dog sitter could give, for a lot less money. I have used this kennel before and do think they are excellent.

So I guess our options our dog kennel, or having someone come and stay at our house. What would everyone here do.

Lissa
October 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM
If I knew and trusted the person, I would much rather have my dog stay at home with a friend or at a friend's house. I really don't like kennels or dog walking services...although the kennel you mention sounds very nice!

My friend used to work at a kennel and I heard all sorts of not-so-nice stories, like how the dogs have less time outside than the owners think and how they do not feed the dog their whole meal because they don't want it to get fat while its in their care.

I have also witnessed and heard some pretty icky stories about dog walkers.

I think its much safer to find someone you know and who knows your dog and his/her routine. Thankfully, I've never had to worry about this yet because I have some hangups about trusting other people with Dodger!

Good luck making your decision. :)

SnowDancer
October 12th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Frankly, in my opinion $12 is way too cheap. In Toronto $20 is way too cheap. Horror stories galore. We pay $40 a day/night if 3 days or longer - $45 if under 3 days. Lady who boards him in her home used to work at our vet's and has started a dog walking and boarding business in association with our groomer who is housed in same building as vet. Excellent care is given and our dog loves her. Until we adopted our current dog, I absolutely could not board our dogs and since we do not have family or anyone who could be trusted, we did not go anywhere together. Now we can. It is important to find someone since you never know when an emergency will strike - you have to be hospitalized etc. You should ask your vet and if Joey goes to a groomer ask if he/she knows of anyone to recommend. The fact that I am boarding our dog has been a good enough reference for people we know.

BeagleMum
October 12th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Personally, I would try to avoid having to kennel your dog. I have just heard too many horror stories. If you could get someone to stay at your house, I would do that, hands down.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 12th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I am not sure which I am going to do. I am very familar with the kennel up here and my hubbie sees the owner on a regular basis. So in this particular case I am not worried, although I have heard of horror stories as well.
The lady that might look after him is an active older lady that used to live across the street but has since moved. Joey could probably go to her house or she could come here. I think if this women is able to spend enough time with him at stop in a few times a day to walk him. Then I think we might do that.

Puppyluv
October 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I think it depends on the dog, Layla has been kenneled when I go away and she loves it! (I agree with the above that $12 is WAY too little to pay, with extra play time and romps, i pay $42 a night, this includes 3 long walks, 2x30 min one on one play time and 5 hrs of play with other dogs). My parents Belgian on the otherhand cannot handle the kennel, she is a very "stressed-out" dog, and so whenever my parents go away, she stays at the home of her trainer (the person she respects/loves just as much as the family, if not possibly, more) It too is expensive, but she's living in a house with a couple of other dogs and an absolute expert on dogs (a couple of calgarians on this site can vouch for him)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 12th, 2005, 02:45 PM
The $12 at the kennel $15 for big dogs. Includes the indoor kennel and 4 romps a day. I guess maybe they should be charging more. The dog sitter wanted $40 to stay over night and $25 on top of that for one hour of walking.

http://www.hycountrykennels.com/updates.htm

I am going to get my hubbie to call this lady that may do it when he gets home. I think that would be our first choice. the second would be the kennel.

jackieb
October 12th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I put our old english mastiff in a kennel it was a very good one it had a few of acres and they loved dogs. They spoilt ours rotten walked him 4 times a day and sent someone down to him most of the day!

I was recommended theese kennels i also went to meet them i think you can tell from meeting them thesse people who had our dog were animal lovers they did as a side line and had alot of people on there farm they ran.

I too have heard horror stories about kennels i just think there are some good ones out there too!

LoNScamp
October 12th, 2005, 10:25 PM
My first preferance is always to have someone I trust stay with my fury folk. If no one is available I don't go. Knowing that a lot of people would go the next thing I would suggest is to use a kennel that had good references from I knew and trusted. I would never consider leaving my dogs alone in the house and have someone come in and walk them several times a day. They are pack animals and I think it would be a traumatic to have limited human contact.

Prin
October 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I think it depends on the dog, Layla has been kenneled when I go away and she loves it! (I agree with the above that $12 is WAY too little to pay, with extra play time and romps, i pay $42 a night, this includes 3 long walks, 2x30 min one on one play time and 5 hrs of play with other dogs).
Is that in Montreal?

For me, no kennels. If they can't stay with a relative, we aren't going. ;)

StaceyB
October 12th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Ontario has always been much more expensive for such things.

huskypup
October 13th, 2005, 12:54 AM
We always kennel our dogs, apart from Freeway when he was really old he went to my mums's but the 2 x huskies still went into kennels.

We pay 15 per night not sure what that equates to into Candian dollars but the US exchange rate means that would be about $27 per night and that includes food. They give a discount of 5 if the two share a kennel.

I have never had a problem. they are large cuddly fluff balls and wouldn't risk them escaping from a friend = they are quick.

They love the kennels = think they love being there more than they do being at home, they come back exhausted and very fat.

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Is that in Montreal?

For me, no kennels. If they can't stay with a relative, we aren't going. ;)
It sure is.
I wish I had relatives around here, then she would stay with them, but if it's a long trip (longer than a week, and it's not domestic (in which case I would bring her with me)) She goes to my friend's house in Ottawa, where her"boyfriend" is.