Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Runny eyes--kitty cold?

LM1313
October 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM
One of my kittens has runny eyes, his inner eyelids are partly visible, and he's sneezing. I took him to the vet and he said it could be a a regular respiratory infection or it could be something more serious, chlamyida. I asked if he should be kept separate from my other kitten, Booster, but he said there was no point since they'd already been in contact.

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/10_11_05/RunnyEyeRemy.jpg

This is a picture from yesterday, but it's worse now . . . his right eye is now "swollen" shut.

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/10_11_05/Kittens1.jpg

He still loves a snuggle!

Is there anything I can do to help Remy get over his cold? He's a little guy, just eight weeks old and 1.4 pounds. So far he's eating and drinking fine, though. And his temperature was normal at the vet's.

I hope he'll be all right, he's such a sweetie!

~LM~

Lucky Rescue
October 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Oh dear. It's VERY common for strays and shelter cats/kittens to get rhinotracheitis from stress and little kittens' immune systems aren't so good at that age. All my cats have had rhino, and in a healthy adult cat it's usually no big deal.

Clear discharge from eyes/nose cannot be treated since antibiotics won't help a virus. Keep eyes and nose clean and wipe them regularly. If he's eating and drinking fine, the "Kitty cold" should pass in a week to ten days.

IF any green discharge is present, that is indication of secondary infection and antibiotics are then needed.

BUT if his eye is swollen shut, another vet visit is in order.

justncase
October 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Your kitten may have contracted the herpes virus or the sneezing, runny eyes are secondary infections due to the virus.Antibiotics are prescribed, usually azithromycin (Zithromax Rx) but other antibiotics can also be useful. Whether it's URI or a herpes virus, you may want to rethink just allowing this to run its course. Something like this, or anything that involves the respiratory system can quickly lead to pneumonia, especially in the young.

LM1313
October 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Remy has clear eye discharge, but no nose discharge as of yet. His eyes get worse after he hasn't had water for a while . . . fortunately, I've been able to get him to drink just by setting him in front of the water bowl. His fur under his eyes is all crusty from the discharge . . . will plain water on a cloth get it off?

Can they test to find out exactly what it is? The vet didn't do any tests or give me any antibiotics for him. (They did give him some deworming medicine since I wasn't sure if they'd done that at the shelter or not.)

I've scheduled another appointment (with my USUAL vet this time, the other guy was a new vet I've never seen before), but unfortunately he didn't have an opening until Saturday morning. :( If I have to I'll run Remy in to any old vet, but I'd rather have the main doctor look at him . . . the other vets tend to be inexperienced (often right out of college) and, well, not exactly remote, but out of touch.

I'm worried about Booster (my other kitten) playing too rough with Remy when he's not feeling well (wrestling and chasing.) Should I separate them while I'm at work and put one in the bathroom or something?

Thanks for you help, guys. I get off work in ten minutes so I can check on Remy soon.

~LM~

cpietra16
October 12th, 2005, 06:09 PM
My cat just got over her cold and runny eyes and nose...it took about 2 weeks. I just kept the eyes and nose clean with a cloth and warm water. I used a syringe to give her water. Just place it on the side of her mouth. I found this worked the best. Good luck.

LM1313
October 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
I just got home and Remy is looking much better! :) He still has part of the inner eyelid showing, but his eyes are both wide open, not swollen or squinty. He's very playful today, scooting his furry mouse across the floor! :p I gave him some low sodium chicken broth to keep him hydrated, but he's eating and drinking (water) on his own too, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

Currently he is attacking his own tail. :crazy:

~LM~