Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my puppy going into her fisrt heat?

redoct81
October 11th, 2005, 10:23 PM
My puppy is a little over 5 months old. She has been acting a little different the last few days and she smells funny. I gave her a bath Sunday nnight and by this afternoon the smell was back. It is near her butt, and does not smell like feces. I want to get her spayed but they told me not until she is 6 months old. Do you think the smell is a sign that she could be going into heat?

sjat24
October 11th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Ohhh I would like to know the answer too. My pup is 5 month I have to wait til November to get her spayed. Ive only had her for 2 weeks so I dont know really know if she is acting differently.

StaceyB
October 11th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I would guess it is probably her anal glands.

Puppyluv
October 11th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Is the smell somewhat foul and rotten? If so it is likely her anal glands that are full. These should empty themselves when she poops, but if not, may need to be emptied by your vet (it is best not to attempt this alone without first getting help, as it can hurt the dog) It is unlikely that your dog is in heat yet, and from your description, it sounds like anal glands.
Here's a good link on the topic:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Prin
October 12th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Either anal glands or a serious vaginal infection. A vet could figure it out easily.