Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What could be wrong with my dog?

jnt8475
September 1st, 2003, 06:47 PM
My dog who is 7 years old has had some intestonal problems the last couple of months. The problems have went away with several different trips to the vet and several medications. The last couple of days I have noticed a cough, a loss of hair. I know she is not feeling well what could be wrong. I am calling the vet tomarrow becouse I don't believe this to be an emergency. But I would like have some "heads up" advice on what could be going on.:confused:

Carina
September 1st, 2003, 08:25 PM
How large a dog? Larger breeds age faster, a 7 year old Mastiff is fairly elderly...coughing can indicate heart problems...poor coat can be thyroid related or all sorts of things, really.

Your vet may want to do a blood panel and possibly thyroid testing....just a guess on my part.

jnt8475
September 1st, 2003, 08:33 PM
My dog is only 12 lbs. and has been eating appropriately. Any other suggestions?

binky6
September 2nd, 2003, 12:37 AM
I wonder if it could be an allergy of some sort.

Any thing that stands out (new pet, new environment, new people, some plants, forests, etc. ) that may have started triggering an allegic reaction 7 months ago.

b6

Carina
September 2nd, 2003, 04:50 AM
Allergies (either food or environmental) usually have at least one - usually several - of the following symptoms: Gunky ears; usually from yeast overgrowth, goopy eyes, hair loss/skin rashes, runny nose if inhalant allergy, itchy skin, licking feet and groin...a change to a completely different diet (commercial or home made) certainly might not hurt, but it doesn't feel like allergy to me unless she has some of the other stuff going on too. Then again I'm not a vet!

Coughing and hair loss - has she been tested for heartworms annually? Heart and lungs are affected by heartworms - coughing could indicate a problem there, and the immune system can be suppressed - also poor circulation can cause hair loss or poor coat if her heart isn't working well. She'd also be a bit more tired than usual.

I still think she needs to have her heart & lungs checked, a blood panel, & thyroid/HW test run (I may be off base & you do this already, just a thought.) NOne of this should be pricey; my vet charges $30 US for a blood panel; I have that done annually with my dogs' HW test and I think the total is about $55.00.