Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A question for you hockey fans

BeagleMum
October 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know how Pat Quinn got the black eye?

Rick C
October 11th, 2005, 09:53 AM
He took a deflected puck in the eye.

Improved his looks too.

Rick C - Leaf Hater
www.goldentales.ca

raingirl
October 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM
He got the black eye from a defected puck in an exhibition game. I beleive two nights ago he got something else in the face over the other eye and had to get stitches.

Schwinn
October 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I think he got it when he tried to slap himself in the forehead and missed after the shoot-out.

(disgruntled Leaf fan)

Luvmypit
October 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM
He got a shiner from a puck and last nights cut was from a stick as a player was getting on the ice.

Stupid godamn penalty shots... stupid stupid.... another disgruntled leaf fan here.

BeagleMum
October 11th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I am all for the shoot outs.

Go Sens Go!!!

Luvmypit
October 11th, 2005, 12:56 PM
If hockey is to be about team work how is a goalie and one player to decide a game fair? After a great game like that for both sides to decide it that way was a waste. And Im not saying this b/c we lost in shoot outs both games I didnt like it before hand. And I don't think it should be decided by 3 shots. The intial should be at least 5 shots, 3 goals you win.

I do like most of the other rules.... but the shoot out no way. The other rules like taking the two line pass out was probably their best move. Now you get breakaways and more 2 on 1's. More back and forth and less time at centre ice.

BeagleMum
October 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM
The losing team still gets a point as they would if it was a tie so I don't see what the big deal is. I prefer to see a game where there is a winner, I hated ties.

The next rule that I think they should ass is the no-touch icing. It is great the way they do that in the olympics.

Luvmypit
October 11th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Your right.... I don't like tie's either. A good idea would be to extend the OT to 10 minutes. 5 minutes is way too short... if they made it 10 minutes then a shoot out... maybe. In a game like yesterday it was so good and I found it harder to take a loss through a shoot out then OT. But thats just me.

I agree with the no touch icing.... Just keeps the game going. Honestly otherwise I really like the changes. The ref's are being anal about penalties right now but I think that holds true for the beginning of every season. more 3 on 5's which are fun also.

BeagleMum
October 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I am glad that the refs are being anal about it. It's about time they get rid of all the hooking and stuff. It was really getting dirty there for a while. And yes, the 5 on 3's are quite entertaining.

babyrocky1
October 11th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I think he got it when he tried to slap himself in the forehead and missed after the shoot-out.

(disgruntled Leaf fan) ALREADY?????? Sheeesh!

Prin
October 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Somebody should start a poll-- there are still some people in the world who have never been to an NHL hockey game... :eek: I'm not a huge fan (I never watch it on tc or anything) but even I have been to at least 3 or 4 games (all at the old forum).

babyrocky1
October 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I havent been to a game since I was five years old! I fell asleep half way through....I would have stayed awake if I had known how much ticket prices would end up being! :eek:

Rick C
October 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Carol and I had ice level seats at the Saddledome in Calgary for many years and lived near the downtown so it was easy to get there and we were home in minutes after it was over.

But when we moved to the country we found it was becoming just a big headache to go to games and lots of time involved . . . . so we gave them up.

The hubby of one of my assistants has access to primo seats - half the schedule - via his company and she is promising that he will toss some our way this year.

We're also going to a Thrashers game in Atlanta later this month and we have primo seats for that one against Tampa Bay.

Carol can watch six hours of hockey a night, every night. And does.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

badger
October 11th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I remember going to Victoria Cougars' (Western League) games when I was a child (at the Memorial Arena, recently demolished). Bare-headed, fast, rough. We loved it! And there were just a handful of teams (this was the 50s) so we knew all the names and the various rivalries between players. But there wasn't any of that almost psychopathic violence you occasionally see now, or am I romanticizing? I believe they all worked during the off season, the money was so bad.

CyberKitten
October 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
IF I lived in a city with a franchise, we'd have season tix but well, we live here, lol That does not mean I don;t get to hockey games tho - usually of Boston (I've been a Bruins fan forever - many Maritimers are actually tho northern NBers tend to be big Habs fans of course, lol). My fav player of all time is still Bobby Orr tho I am at the age where my brother has friends in the NHL and I have 2 cousins who played at that level. And my cousin's son was drafted a few yrs ago and now plays for Les Canadiens. So I often get free tickets which I surely use or give to my sister/cousin in Mtl. We get many tix from the various ppl who do biz with the hospital and the university so that helps too. I also attend Tampa Bay games when I visit my parents since my dad co-owns a box with some of his biz partners and former managers from the pulp and paper/ oil industry. I try to be there when they play Boston and you know how Fla is, there tend to be more ppl cheering for the Bruins than the Bolts at the games. It's really funny!

Never been to Maple Leaf Gardens except to visit that museum some yrs ago when the Queen was in TO and a friend and I had been invited by the Prime Minister's office to that "affair" at the Roy Thompson Hall. Anti- monarchist that I am, I went anyway, lol (We were invited to a regal event but were more interested in hockey, how Camadian is that, lol)

I do miss the old Boston Gardens - and it used to be the main thoroughfare for the "T" - some things are hard to change I think!! I used to be an ABM fan (anyone but Mtl fan since they won all the time but now I would like to see Cdn team to well - if Boston is out of here you understand, lol). We will also be watching Pittsburgh - and Sydney C - very closely!! Go Syd!!

I do like Pat - loved those Olympic games!!! I still recall that game the US won against Russia in 1980!!! And I sometimes ask my students if they remember where they were when Paul Henderson scored the winning goal and alas, many of them have no clue what I am talking about since they were born after it happened or they are not Canadian. Another frame of reference bites the dust!! I do look forward to the movie about that tho!