Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog vomiting

bobanderma
September 1st, 2003, 06:47 PM
Dog eats grass, then later vomits. (blades of grass in vomit) No change in food since we've had her.

Carina
September 1st, 2003, 09:22 PM
How often? For how long?

This is normal occasionally.

bobanderma
September 2nd, 2003, 06:06 AM
Maybe three or four times in last week. Could type of "treats" or maybe "pigs ears" be the culprit? She's a Golden Retriever mix maybe thirty pounds. Seems otherwise active and healthy!

Carina
September 2nd, 2003, 06:26 AM
Most pigs ears are terrible for dogs - poorly digested, preserved with formaldehyde & other bad stuff. Whole raw pigs ears (or other things from your butcher) would be much better nutritionally. And cheaper.

Ditto for most dog treats. They are utter junk, for the most part.
Read this for TONS of info on healthy treats:
http://www.bowchow.com/treatref.html
If she is eating an inferior kibble, or getting a ton of commercial dog treats, rawhides, pig ears, etc, her stomach could be upset. But it doesn't really sound like you have much to worry about with the grass eating/horking up thing. One of my dogs thinks she's a goat. :)

FWIW, I don't think "treats" per se are necessary anyhow, except as training aids. My dogs get to clean our plates when we're done eating and get real food when I'm cooking, but otherwise no treats . My dogs don't really eat commercial dog food either, so their systems are healthy and used to a pretty varied diet.