Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found!! Black male cat.. Waterford Ontario

RaYne
October 11th, 2005, 09:16 AM
We have yet another stray. I'm hoping he's just lost and that someone didn't dump him off. He's been here about a week and a half.

He seem youngish. I'm guessing maybe 2 years old. NOT neutered. He's black but has a white spot on his chest and white hairs here and there all over his body. He has a slender build.. possibly a Siamese mix? And big green eyes and he's very affectionate. He and my Saint bernard were nose to nose through the screen and not a hair on him was out of place. So he's been around dogs.

I can't let him in since he and my male cat were fighting through the screen. But I have been giving him food and water. He even had some Thanksgiving turkey with us. lol

But it's getting colder here by the day it seems and I'm worried about him making it through the winter. I'm going to contact my local shelter and see if they can take him if I can't find his owner. At least he will have a warm place to sleep. OR if someone is looking for a sweet affectionate cat please PM me.

I'll post a pic once my batteries recharge..

happycats
October 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM
OMG...This is a very bad month for black cats!! Please take him to a rescue or Humane Society, or something very horrible may happen to him.
Please don't leave him outside!!

Copper'sMom
October 11th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately the Simcoe Humane Society will NOT take him in unless he is badly injured, ill or near death. I called them 6 months ago about a litter of kittens abandoned by the momma cat that were found at an elderly neighbour's house under cement stairs.

I'm leary of taking in another cat because of my newest member - Zoe. She likes to terrorize the cats I have now. :evil:

RaYne
October 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Copper'sMom, I was told the same thing by the SDHS. :sad: Could you ask around and see if anyone you know would be interested in a kitty. I'm pretty sure he's ok with female cats.. but males I'm not so sure since he and my male kitty had a go at each other through the screen and I had to seperate.

happycats, I know what you mean with halloween coming. But to be honest noone comes out this way for halloween. I live 5 minutes from town. People like to dump their cats out my way for that exact reason. :mad:

Still working on that picture.. Everytime I go out there he's too busy rubbing back and forth on my legs to hold still for a pic.

RaYne
October 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Finally got a couple pics. Here he is... He has a little white on his belly too I didn't notice before. He pretty much stays on my deck other than to go potty and he comes right back.

http://67.18.37.14/95/148/upload/p458010.jpg

http://67.18.37.14/95/148/upload/p458011.jpg

badger
October 11th, 2005, 05:53 PM
What a beautiful boy, and looks to be in not bad shape, thanks to you. If the only reason you're not taking him in is because he squared off with your male, this is normal behaviour at the beginning. If you isolate him for a couple of weeks and have him neutered, there's a good chance they would eventually at least tolerate each other, or even become best buddies. Any chance?

Lucky Rescue
October 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM
If the only reason you're not taking him in is because he squared off with your male, this is normal behaviour at the beginning. If you isolate him for a couple of weeks and have him neutered, there's a good chance they would eventually at least tolerate each other, or even become best buddies. Any chance?

Definitely agree. Your cat is naturally hostile to an intact male on his territory. Neutering and time will take care of that problem.

CyberKitten
October 11th, 2005, 08:33 PM
What a cutie!!! And if you introduce him carefully and slowly to your already neutered male cat, things should be just fine. I introduced 2 intact females to my spayed female and I did it very slowly and all 3 now are quite amicable - as long as the other two allow my Siamsese to be the diva she is, lol I can almost see them raising the eyes and saying "That's YY, just let her think she's the boss".

There is prob a place on this site for intoruding cats but here are two helpful sites.

I would hate to see this kitty not get help when this can be accomplished quite easily!

http://www.furryfriendswa.org/html/introduce_a_new_cat_to_your_ho.html
http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/introducecats.htm
http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/catintro.htm

Good luck!!

RaYne
October 11th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I'm not allowed to take in anymore kittys. We have 4 now. 3 females and 1 male. My hubby put his foot down this time. And I do understand.

My male cat is 9 years old and pretty set in his ways. He's never gotten along with other males which is why I have 3 females. He's actually getting pretty cranky with them also. We have tried previously to introduce him to another neutered male and it failed miserabley. I'm talking vet visits and bite wounds. Not pretty. :(

Someone did contacted me though from a local vet, and they are going to put up a a flyer for me. I will see what transpires and hopefully I can find him a good home or maybe he even got out accidentally and I can find his owners. I've been asking friends and family also.. so I'll see what happens.

Don't worry I will NOT leave him outside to freeze to death.. I will figure something out.

RaYne
November 5th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Ok I am officially ticked off. Someone has dumped yet another cat off and it's also found it's way to my back porch. More than likely due to the food out there for the kitty pictured. But the two of them are now fighting when they come across each other. :(

In any case the new arrival is very skittish and appears to be a bit older.. 3-4 years. He's white with grey stripe/tabby patches. He will not let me near him period.. But he's not feral since he's wearing a nylon collar. I've spoke with all my neighbours and they have no idea who he belongs to. He just appeared 2 days ago.

I cannot fathom how someone could just dump their cat off to fend for itself.. and it's going to be snowing here soon to boot. GRRRRRR

I've had no luck in rehoming the black kitty, now named "Charlie" :) I took all your advice and tried bringing Charlie in the house. It was non stop fighting with my male. Problem is my male was declawed 8 years ago (before it was a big debate and I didn't know any better) so he cant' defend himself. Charlie tore Fido's ear and we soon realized that it wasn't going to work. He was great with my 6 month old female kitty Lucy though.

The humane society will not take either of them, even if I pay. What's the point of having a humane society? :sad:

I think I just needed to vent a little bit. It's just so frustrating..

badger
November 5th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Have you checked out any rescue groups in your area? With the bad weather coming, they may be able to find a foster home for Charlie. Don't despair, the food helps, even if they have to be outside. If they are still out there when the snow flies, a bit of shelter (filled with straw or blankets) or access to a garage will stave off frostbite.
All of us who have to deal daily with ferals, semi-ferals and dumpees can relate to your frustration. The food definitely attracts them, but personally I don't let it stop me, if there's one hungry cat in the vicinity that makes it up to my 3rd floor porch, I'll feed it. Occasionally there are fights. (Try two bowls) The spraying can get pretty bad. But I've got the worst culprit in that department (so bad even the garbage men swore when they picked up bags he had decorated) in my bathroom right now. He just had his snip and hopefully his spraying days are over. Zero social skills, but we're working on that.
Good luck. Do what you can but don't feel guilty about the rest, is my advice.