Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bleeding when pooping, and vomiting every 8 hours.

Picklesticks
October 11th, 2005, 01:50 AM
What would cause this?

Friday night my 4 year old dog, Keisha, woke me with puking throughout the night. I just figured she ate something bad, until I found blood on the white carpet the next morning. So took her to the vet asap! They kept her overnight on the IV and seemed to be doing a bit better and she was keeping food down. We brought her home and she ended up puking later that night. She is on anitbiotics and has anti nausea pills. She had a blood test to rule out rat poisen. The thing is everytime after she was comming inside she would be licking her paws, much more then normal. So we think it was something on the lawn. (We haven't taken her out there since we figured out it was conected to the lawn, we walk her across the street now.) She wants to eat but then she pukes up about 8 hous later. Each time she poops it's dark and there's some blood in it. We are taking her back the vet tomorrow. I was just wondering if any of you have incounted such a problem. What would be on the lawn that would make her lick her paws so much, then make her so sick? I'm really worried and we are taking her tomorrow.

Hope someone can give me something to go on. I've looked all over for what would be causeing this. The gardener did put fertillizer down last wednesday but the vet said it woulnd't of been that.

jawert1
October 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
The only other potential with the grass is some type of Weed n Feed or other treatment to the lawn, especially since you said she's licking her paws. Is it possible she was in the garage and got into something in there (antifreeze perhaps)? You've done the best possible thing by getting her to the vets immediately and following up, hopefully they'll turn up something else that perhaps isn't obvious. Good luck and keep us posted on her progress :)

Rottielover
October 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Vet Please!!!!!!

yoda900_ca
October 12th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Fertillizer can cause the exact symptoms your talking about. I live across the river from buffalo ny and there was just a big article in the paper a few weeks ago about a lawn company mixing the fertillizer wrong and killing 2 dogs in a neighborhood and 2 more were very ill. The article went on to mention the symptoms of ferillizer poisioning and it sounds very much like the problem w/ your dog. You can try and google the article it had to do w/lush lawn service and it happened in a suburb of bufffalo. GL and i hope your dog gets better :fingerscr

justncase
October 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM
It looks like your dog either licked his paws containing the residue of the lawn fertilizer or chewed grass that was laced with it. Either way, the lawn fertilizer would be the thing to look into. If your vet does not agree, then please find another vet who could give the proper treatment for this. Toxins store in the liver and unless this is dealt with ASAP you could be looking at liver damage. The Bach Flower Essence called Crabapple(health food store) will help to expel toxins from the body. 5 drops on the tongue even every 5 minutes to start then tapering off as improvement occurs. It's non-toxic so you could give it as often as needed . At least it will help until you can get to a vet who would be able to give you the proper antidote for this because it is chemical poisoning . Antibiotics and anti-nausea pills aren't going to help a dog trying to vomit the poisons from his body.