Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Job Fair in the Okanagan

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM
There is a job fair in town next week and they are offering jobs in the oil and gas industry. I have no experience in that field, but the ad doesnt specify. I am beginning to realise from my present job that I do have really good customer service skills, troubleshooting skills, and computer skills. I am going to go as it is on my day off. I would like to work in town instead of having to commute everyday.

Here is the ad it seems it could be promising but I just wanted some feedback on it.

http://www.em.gov.bc.ca/subwebs/oilandgas/jobfair/Oka_Job%20Fairs_3x100.pdf

StaceyB
October 10th, 2005, 11:13 PM
This is completely off topic but I have to ask. What is it like in the Okanagan. It was my parents plan to retire there but they changed their mind when the grandchildren came along.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 10th, 2005, 11:40 PM
The Okanagan is beautiful. There are two major lakes Okanagan and Kalamalka. ( I love Kalamalka lake because it is a really spectacular green colour.) The largest city is Kelowna with about 250,000 people. Okanagan lake is the largest with the three main cities on the lakes are Kelowna, Penticton, Ossoyos and Vernon.
It is hot here in the summer 35 C and above, and cold in the winter -15 and below. We are known for our Okanagan wines. Jennifer Lopez filmed a movie up here not to long ago. The reality hockey series I believe it was called "making the cut" was filmed in Vernon (where I live) It is fairly inexpensive to buy a house here although that is quickly changing. You can get a decent house for around 250,000 compared to 700,000 in Vancouver for a smaller house on a smaller property. Our house 7 years ago was worth quite a bit less. The lake is a perfect place to spend a hot summer day as it is really warm and shallow for several hundred yards. There are about four dog parks in town as well as a doggie beach as well.
It is hard to get a decent job here and is a great place if you are able to start a business and/or are a professional. We live in a Subarban area, but right behind us on a hill is a several hundred acre farm with lots of cows grazing so we usually hear cows 24 hours a day. So it is city mixed in with country.
There is lots of development going on right now here mostly resort type places on the lake.

Here is a link if you want to check it out some more.
http://www.okanagan.com/

Rick C
October 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
and cold in the winter -15 and below.

Wait'll they send you up to northern BC . . . . I think it will get a lot colder than 15 below!!!

I agree the Okanagan is a beautiful place . . . . spent some summers there water skiing around Westbank in my youth and got my usual quota of sun blisters as a youngster on Skaha Lake in Penticton. More recently, we rented a cabin at Naramata a few years ago.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Originally coming from Vancouver 15 below seems pretty cold to me, one winter it got down to minus 25 but the norm seems to minus 10 to 15 which I am used too. I don't think I can handle colder than that.

I have only seen pictures of Naramata its beautiful, There are so many places up here I would like to go to, but of coure our work schedules prevent us from doing that right now. We are going to Mexico in November for one week our first real vacation in almost 8 years.

Rick C
October 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I used to live up in the Peace River region of northern Alberta, near the oil and gas industry in BC, and I've seen minus 50 a few times.

One time in Grande Prairie, the temperature was past minus 40 every morning for three straight weeks, never going higher than minus 30 during the day. . . . . when it finally broke and went to minus 15, people were walking around with their jackets open because it felt so hot.

My wife has a few nephews working the oilpatch in BC and Alberta. Get an indoor job . . . if its not the cold in winter, it will be the bugs that get you in the summer.

Of course, they might be looking for people for cushy head office jobs!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Rick C
I used to live up in the Peace River region of northern Alberta, near the oil and gas industry in BC, and I've seen minus 50 a few times.

thats torture 50 below. The mosquitos are bad here in the summer, but no where near as bad as Nelson when we camped there one summer. :D

Just curious do you know anything about the oil and gas industry. I am a bit skeptical last time I replied to and add like this they wanted me to sell life insurance door to door and pay out all this money up front. I hope I am not selling cans of gas door to door. :eek: It is goverment though so I am positive about it.

Rick C
October 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Rick C

thats torture 50 below. The mosquitos are bad here in the summer, but no where near as bad as Nelson when we camped there one summer. :D

Just curious do you know anything about the oil and gas industry. I am a bit skeptical last time I replied to and add like this they wanted me to sell life insurance door to door and pay out all this money up front. I hope I am not selling cans of gas door to door. :eek: It is goverment though so I am positive about it.

Well, I think you can be assured you won't be selling cans of gas door to door.

I'm not directly in the business but I can tell you the oil and gas industry these days is one of the most technology driven in the world . . . . there was a point a few years ago when Calgary had more computing capacity than Houston if I'm not mistaken.

There's still a lot of grunt jobs obviously but you could just as easily find yourself in an office staring at a screen all day.

I'd be careful about agreeing to go to Fort McMurray, Alberta, however . . . . its a classic western boom town these days with not enough places for people to live and a rampant drug problem. Think Dawson City and the Yukon Gold Rush in the late 1800's. That's the Athabasca Oil Sands, with bigger reserves than Saudi Arabia. Until they allow for more residential development, you'll make a lot of money there but might be living in a trailer in the bush.

What jobs are you thinking of applying for?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Well it didn't specify, but something in administration and/or customer service. I work in customer service for a US cellular company right now I do everything from setting customer plans, fixing technical errors, and billing errors, selling services, helping customers choose the right cell plan, activating phones, helping them use the features on their phones. I also have advanced word, and excel skills, and know simply accounting and QuickBooks. I am starting to enjoy my job, and customers usually tell me how helpful I am. I would like to work closer to home though.

I cant really see us picking up and moving to Fort McMurray is there any schools there.

CyberKitten
October 11th, 2005, 02:01 PM
My dad tho now semi retired (the man will never be happy retired!) has ties to the oil industry and it is actually a good field to be in. Mind you, he was in management but once an engineer...

I have a friend who is in the tourism industry and she moved to Fort MacMurray b/c her husband found some sort of oil industry job there and she is now working there in the travel industry ad loves it!! They have 2 young school aged children and the kids are doing well.

I know Calgary (Shell for example) has many cutomer service positions so maybe they will do that too in the Okanagan?? If you are a programmer, you should also find good posiitons I would think - with so much of the industry using IT. It depends on the platform - some use UIIX and a few actually use WindowsNT (Shudder).

Good luck - I hope you find something if you really want to change positions!

Roxy's_MA
October 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I have a friend who is in the tourism industry and she moved to Fort MacMurray b/c her husband found some sort of oil industry job there and she is now working there in the travel industry ad loves it!! They have 2 young school aged children and the kids are doing well.

Ohhh, not the nicest place in the world to be, I am suprised they found a place to live, but tons of money to be made.

Rick C
October 11th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Ohhh, not the nicest place in the world to be, I am suprised they found a place to live, but tons of money to be made.

I actually have a niece and nephew who have been in Fort McMurray for about 20 years, own their own homes in nice neighbourhoods, raised their kids there, etc, etc. . . . . their parents go there in the summer and drive busses to Syncrude from the city, living in their motor home.

However, if we're talking about the here and now, tons of money to be made, tons of jobs and hard and expensive to find a place to live.

A great place, probably, for younger people just as the Peace River country of northern Alberta was a great place for me when I was in my early 20's. . . . but not a place I would have wanted to stay.

Alberta in general is rolling in jobs and economically, is one of the top places in the world right now according to a recent TD bank study published last week.

Saskatchewan and the Maritimes are being sucked dry of people in an Okie-like rush to the promised land.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
October 11th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I doubt they will stay there - being Maritimers at heart - but they did find a nice home and good schools and she really likes her job. There are so many ppl there like themselves - working and caring for families - that she enjoys it.I shoiuld note that she only moved with the 2 children when her husband found a house, which took a few months. Until then, she stayed here and worked and cared for her kids.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM
So if I end up in Fort McMurray will everyone come visit me. :D

Roxy's_MA
October 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I have nothing against Fort McMurray, I know a few people born and raised in the city. I do know the city had a few problems that make everyday living a pain. For example you have to line up for everything. They can't keep staff in business like gas stations, resturaunt, grocery stores, so the line ups become huge all over the city. I was in Fort McMurray once, and I went to Starbucks and it was closed due to shortage of staff. It is really hard to get people to work at those jobs, when the can just go work in the oil sands. Minimum wage in AB is $7/hr, they can't get people to work a McDonalds for $11/hr. It just seems like an insane place to be living. I know many people who work in Ft McMurray and they commute.

Roxy's_MA
October 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM
So if I end up in Fort McMurray will everyone come visit me. :D

You would have to be insane to leave the beautiful Okanogan for Ft. McMurray!

Rick C
October 12th, 2005, 10:21 AM
You would have to be insane to leave the beautiful Okanogan for Ft. McMurray!

Hey, they have a lake at Fort McMurray . . . . I sailed in the Alberta Summer Games there one year!!

However, I will admit its probably frozen solid most of the time.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 12th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Rick CI sailed in the Alberta Summer Games there one year!!

My dad and brothers all sail. Well not my dad anymore.

My oldest brother sailed in the 72 Olympics and won a bronze, my other brother is living and sailing in turkey with his wife, and my other brother does boat charters. My dad did the Victoria to Maui race back in the 60's and came in third.

Anyways I cant really see myself in Fort McMurray.