Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my dog sleeping too much?

Speedy's Mom
October 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Hello, I am new to the forum. My husband and I just rescued a chihuahua mix a few weeks ago from a local rescue center and we noticed that he sleeps almost all day. He has energy in the morning when he first wakes up and is let out of his kennel. (He is only in his kennel during the night to sleep and if we leave the house for an hour or so to do our grocery shopping, otherwise he has complete run of the house. ) The rest of the day he pretty much just lays around the house and naps or sleeps in between meals and walks. We walk him several times a day for him to "do his business" and get him out of the house. He seems to enjoy the walks a lot but then as soon as we get back in the house, he goes back to sleeping. He is very much a lap dog and is always either with me or my husband.

The vet and the rescue center both estimated his age at 3 years old. A few days after we got him he had his initial exam the vet seemed to think he was healthy with the exception of an ear infection. He had antibiotics prescribed and completed those two weeks ago. He is heart worm negative and is on preventive medication for it.

Can anyone tell me how much a 3 year old dog normally sleeps during the day?

I appreciate any information you can give me. This little guy is a very important part of our family and we want to make sure we keep him healthy and happy for years and years to come.

Thanks again,
Speedy's Mom

Edited to add: Speedy was neutered a few weeks before we received him from rescue. I don't know if this could have anything to do with his lethargic behavior.

Puppyluv
October 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
This sounds pretty normal to me. Every dog I've had essentially has 2 settings "on" and "off". They're either out running and playing, or passed out asleep. IMO nothing to worry about :)

catsnatcher-CDN
October 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
my dog sleeps about 18 hours a day. His schedule is sleeping from 9 am until around 6 pm and then again from 10 pm until around 7 am.
On the days that are fuller with family trips/dogpark/exercise/long walks, he sleeps for 2 days straight.

He is also 4 yrs old and i think, hyperactive.

StaceyB
October 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Sounds pretty normal.

jawert1
October 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Absolutely normal, my two are both passed out right now :) On a side note, given that he's a fairly recent shelter rescue, he also could be sleeping off a lot of loud nights and even noisier days from being there. Congrats on his rescue :)

Lucky Rescue
October 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Could be perfectly normal, but tiny dogs like Chis can suffer from hypoglycemia if they don't eat often enough.

How many times a day are you feeding him?

Speedy's Mom
October 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I feed him two times a day and then he also has two snacks per day. He eats Iams mini chunks at least 1/3 cup each serving and then one Iams milk bone twice a day. He also has an occasional liver treat when we are working on training.

Thank you so much for all the replies, I feel much better. :)

coppperbelle
October 10th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Not ever having owned a small dog I can't tell you if this is normal. I do know that often fosters will go through a kind of depression for a few weeks or even months. Keep him time to adjust. He sounds like he is getting plenty of exercise and like someone mentioned may just be tired from all the action in the shelter.

Prin
October 11th, 2005, 12:09 AM
It's normal for a dog to sleep more than you expect... Of course, the doggy will have more energy if you feed a better food. Iams is not the best and it is loaded with fillers.

Speedy's Mom
October 13th, 2005, 03:09 PM
What kind of dog food do you recommend? We tried him on Science Diet but would not eat it. I asked his Vet if Iams was okay and he said yes, it was a good dog food. I am open to any recommendations you have and by the way, thanks for all the replies.

Puppyluv
October 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Some good high-end dog foods are Wellness, Solid Gold, Eaglepack, Merrick, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.
Iams is not very good food, and if you can afford it, switching to one of the above would be beneficial.

jawert1
October 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Or you can try and find a local feed mill that sells dog food in which you can identify (without a dictionary) all of the ingredients. I feed my 2 Regal (not sure if it's a national brand) Turkey, Lamb and Rice, not only because the shelter fed them that, but because the ingredients are turkey, lamb, rice and corn (yep that's it) , and I've never had any issues with their skin, energy levels or coats.

Speedy's Mom
October 15th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I want to thank you all again for the great suggestions. I checked with some other people here in town and they also recommended Wellness in particular. Well I started him on it almost three days ago, mixing it with his Iams and he loved the Wellness and would not touch the Iams. Needless to say, after everything I have read and heard we have switched to Wellness. His stools have increased in frequency but I was told that is normal for the first few days. In addition I found some all natural Mother Hubbard Dog Snacks (the mother company of Wellness) and he loves those also.

I am convinced that even if his energy level doesn't pick up, this food is so much better for him.

Once again thanks and any other suggestions are welcomed!

Lucky Rescue
October 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Wellness is wonderful food. I've been feeding it for three years.

The frequency of stools should decrease, and since Wellness is so digestible you feed much less than you would of cheaper food, make sure you don't overfeed!

If you get the kind in the purple bag, you can also add hot water to it and it makes a tasty gravy.:)

Puppyluv
October 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM
If you get the kind in the purple bag, you can also add hot water to it and it makes a tasty gravy.:)

Why only the purple bag?? :confused:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 15th, 2005, 07:52 PM
We switched Joey from Eukanuba to, Solid Gold just a weebit for small dogs. We also had the seal meal supplement powder too for his skin.

By the way we were gonna call our dog Speedy except we ended up getting and adult that already had a name. :D

Speedy's Mom
October 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Thank you Deb's Lucky Rescure, I noticed this morning that his stools were beginning to return to normal. I think it may also be boosting his energy too. Another question if you don't mind; I was told by the salesman that the Wellness will also help with shedding due to the fish oil it contains. Has any one noticed a difference in shedding after using Wellness for a period of time.

Hi Joey E. Cockers Mommy, what kind of dog is Joey? Ours is a chi mix we got from the rescue center. They had already named him Speedy before we adopted him. I also thought it was a cute name. What is the seal meal supplement and what exactly does it do for the skin?

Thanks you for all the advice, you are great. I really enjoy this forum, it has great people and lots of great advice/information. Is there anyway to attach a photo to our post? I would love to attach a picture of Speedy for everyone to see.

Speedy's Mom
October 16th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I am trying to upload a picture of our little boy. Hope it works.

Lucky Rescue
October 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I was told by the salesman that the Wellness will also help with shedding due to the fish oil it contains. Has any one noticed a difference in shedding after using Wellness for a period of time

Yes. When I got my dog she had been fed a diet of cheap food and her coat was dull, harsh and shedding very heavily. Now shedding is very minimal and her coat is beautiful and glossy!:)

Speedy is very VERY cute!!!

Speedy's Mom
October 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Thank you Deb, we love him like he was our own child. I hope his shedding will calm down now with the new food. He already seems to be more energetic after two days.