Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pimples under chin

catsnatcher-CDN
October 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone,

My 4 yr old doberman mix woke me up this morning from his constant scratching. When I looked I found several pimples under his chin.... He's stopped scratching now (been about 6 hrs.) but i'm worried about what it could be. He hasn't been scratching anywhere else, everything else seems normal...

I spend alot of time with my dog so whatever it is, it's at the beginning stages 'cuz I would've noticed anything out of the ordinary... but he is my first dog so i'm not too experienced.. Could this be mange?

(My vet is closed today and tomorrow for thanksgiving, so I can't make an appt. until tuesday morning) Can anyone give me any clues as to what this could be? Doesn't seem too urgent, but you never know.

Thanks in advance

Puppyluv
October 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
It looks like an allergic reaction of some sort. Not urgent, but bothersome for him. I would say wait until tuesday and then go see the vet The problem may go away, and if not, the vet might reccomend an antihistamine.

AnimalLovr14691
October 9th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry i don't know what it is but i don't think it mange. Dogs don't usually get pimples when the get mange they just start to lose their hair on top of their heads.

catsnatcher-CDN
October 9th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks Puppyluv and AnimalLovr14691,

I'm quite worried and keeping a close eye on him.

StaceyB
October 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
It looks like it is acne. My dane gets them all the time. They are nothing to worry about if it is.

Toonces
October 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Our girl Brandy used to get the same thing all the time, we switched her bowls from plastic to stainless and took away any plastic toys and they cleared up in about a week.

Good luck with your baby!

catsnatcher-CDN
October 10th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks Toonces, StaceyB,

His bowls are stainless steel (no plastic toys, only rubber kongs). It seems to have gotten worst, bigger, since yesterday. It's weird 'cuz he only scratches there in the mornings.

StaceyB
October 10th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Montana is a drooler so this is why he gets them. He doesn't get as many now that he is a little older but he still gets them. His acne doesn't have to do with his dishes or toys. He doesn't really play with plastic toys, he loves to carry around his stuffies and he has stainless dishes.

catsnatcher-CDN
October 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks StaceyB,

He's not scratching today and it seems to be healing...gonna check it again tonight. He's never had this before.... what could have caused this??