Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog not eating enough

free
October 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
adopted an airedale from animal control on monday. they couldn't tell me what food he was on so i bought globals brand which is made by eagle pack. beau seems not to have the attention span to eat and has only had half of what he should have. i have tried leaving the food down all day and reminding him to eat. i have tried wetting the food like i do for my senior dog, tried hand feeding and now putting down the food for 10 minutes 3-4 times a day. he might take a few pebbles and then goes to play. it just took my daughter about 10 tries till he finally ate two thirds of a cup. any suggestions?

Lucky Rescue
October 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
he might take a few pebbles and then goes to play.

If you're sure this dog is healthy, I would say he just needs to settle down. You haven't had him long and he's probably still too excited and interested in everything going on around him to stop and eat properly - much in the way little kids often don't want to stop playing long enough to eat. Airedales are very high energy dogs and he probably want to go go go!

I would stop all the hand feeding, coaxing and all the different presentations of his meals. It's just confusing and maybe exciting him more. Choose one feeding method and stick with it. It's consistancy and routine that help settle down rescue/stray dogs in new homes.

Is he underweight, bony? If not, there is little danger of a healthy young dog starving himself when being fed properly. Make sure he gets enough exercise as well.

Put down his food in the same place at the same times every day and give him 10 minutes to eat it, then remove it. Try to feed him in a place where there is not too much activity, or in his crate if he is crate trained.

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I would have to agree with Lucky- he needs time to settle in. I would leave the food out, but don't hand feed etc, because you will only create a picky doggy who will be harder to feed. Does he eat other stuff, like cookies? Could be that he was on a tasty (but nasty) commercial food (loaded with fake flavors) and isn't liking the new food much.

free
October 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
thanks for the response. we had an airedale before that we should have named food as he would eat 24/ 7 so this seemed strange to us. the other rescue dog we have had never given us food problems till he got to be a senior dog. yes prin he will eat the cheapo dog biscuits now. i do not want to go to the cheapo foods as i know airedales can have skin problems and allergies.

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM
No, no, don't switch back (:yuck: ), just give it time. :)

StaceyB
October 9th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Setting the food up in the crate may remove the temptations to go play. Have him on scheduled meals with a time limit for eating. He will actually eat better than having access to it all the time.