Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Transporting cats by air

tofudaddy
October 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I will be transporting 3 cats cross country (Georgia to Oregon) later this month. Does anyone have any experience with Petair.com?

Thanks!

Puppyluv
October 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Do you mean flypets.com? (petair.com is an air freshener site)

CyberKitten
October 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Sorry, no experience with that airline (flypets) - I have always taken YY in the canin with me. Do you mean in the cabin with you? I am leary of any airline, even the ones who specialize in pets (tho they are better than the regular airlines by far) who fly pets as cargo. If Flypets takes the cat in the cabin, that would be the best option if you cannot fly with the kitties yourself.

Just noticed you have three- which means you would need 3 ppl if you would take them in the cabin. Unless flypets has better policies than the other airlines?

Puppyluv
October 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM
It appears as though Flypets is not so much an airline as it is a company that works with airlines. From the website it looks like it's for people who are not travelling with their pets, and are shipping them alone.
Is there anyway that you can travel with your cats? Air travel is pretty stressful for animals, and you not being there makes it even more difficult. Just some thoughts.

tofudaddy
October 10th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Hi,

Yes, I did have the wrong URL. Although Pet Air is the company name, their URL is www.flypets.com.

Most US carriers have a two-pet-per-cabin rule meaning that we would have to fly on different flights or on different days. Also, we have one obese cat at 16 pounds, and she would not fit (or not easily fit) underneath a seat.

If I could, I would ride in the cargo area with them, but they won't allow it--I've asked!

What a mess! But, five days in a car would be even more traumatic.

CyberKitten
October 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
It is up to you if course since you know your kitties but there are so many horror stories about airlines and pets - no oxygen, pets getting killed. I decided awhile ago it was not worth it. Could you find a small airline that would fly your pets and you? Like a private charter? For the rates flypets charge and then the airline fee, you might find one that would work.

I had a friend who drove cross country in the US from NC to Calif with 4 cats and 1 8 year old. It was challenging at times but her cats (one of whom is named Trouble, lol) did just fine. They mapped out the trip in advance of course, stayed in Pet Friendly hotels but she was afraid of the airline risk. (and needed to get her car to Calif as well)

Icysfx
October 14th, 2005, 12:46 AM
My sister in law, just brought her two dogs to the USA from Brazil. They came in on a seperate flight which was like a cargo flight (similar to what you would expect from Fed-Ex or UPS). It was a long flight. When she went to pick up her dogs - having arrived much later than she did. The dogs had no water in their bottles! They were sick for two weeks from that flight.

If your going to use the airlines - be aware that they may ship your pets with a cargo flight. I would suggest making sure your pets are healthy and well fed before you ship them. Also make sure you have a large water dispensor, while the airline may say they make sure the pets have water - I personally wouldn't trust them on that.

Icysfx
October 14th, 2005, 01:32 AM
One more thing I'd like to mention.

I have two cats - whenever I transport them long distances - of course they have to stay in the crate.

I have a two inch thick foam padding I put in the bottom of the crate wrapped with a towel. Cats sometimes get scared, and when they do they sometimes pee. The foam padding pulls the pee away so they don't have to lay in it. You may even consider the padding with pampers on top wrapped with a towel.

Icysfx
October 14th, 2005, 01:54 AM
One more thing - I'm starting to sound like Columbo.

If you decide to transport your cats in a car. Absolutely do not - I can't stress this enoungh - do not let your cats out of the crate! I've heard plenty of stories where people are moving from here to there with their cats in the car. When they stop at a rest place they let their cats out of the crate to feed them and give them water never to be seen again. Be extremely careful when transporting via a car or ground transport.