- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

dog eating mud

October 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I have a seven month old Swissy that loves to eat dirt and mud. He will pull out the grass to eat the mud. Has anyone ever encountered this before and have a suggestion? I am concerned about what he is really eating and why he needs to eat dirt. Thanks!!

October 9th, 2005, 01:16 PM
My "snow white" Eskimo loves to do this as well. Heaven only knows what he is looking for - grubs?! - uck. He is now 18 months and is still very keen.

October 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
This is known as pica, and can be associated with both behavioral and health issues. The health issues include iron defficiency anemia, chronic stomach or intestinal disease and ibs. A vet visit can rule out any of these health issues. One possible remedy to this is a switch in foods and the addition of mineral supplements.
(Just as a point of interest, pica can occur in pregnant women who are not getting the minerals they need, and are often found to crave dirt and clay)

October 9th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I would agree with the grubs. Next time he is doing this take it away and shake it over a piece of paper so you can clearly see what drops from it.

October 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
A lot of doggies at our park eat muck, only the really black muck. To be honest, it's gross, but a lot of the owners whose dogs do this notice the stools are firmer... :D I do think the doggies smell something in the dirt that we don't. Maybe a nutrient that is necessary or lacking.