Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog eating mud

waver229
October 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I have a seven month old Swissy that loves to eat dirt and mud. He will pull out the grass to eat the mud. Has anyone ever encountered this before and have a suggestion? I am concerned about what he is really eating and why he needs to eat dirt. Thanks!!

SnowDancer
October 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM
My "snow white" Eskimo loves to do this as well. Heaven only knows what he is looking for - grubs?! - uck. He is now 18 months and is still very keen.

Puppyluv
October 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM
This is known as pica, and can be associated with both behavioral and health issues. The health issues include iron defficiency anemia, chronic stomach or intestinal disease and ibs. A vet visit can rule out any of these health issues. One possible remedy to this is a switch in foods and the addition of mineral supplements.
(Just as a point of interest, pica can occur in pregnant women who are not getting the minerals they need, and are often found to crave dirt and clay)

StaceyB
October 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I would agree with the grubs. Next time he is doing this take it away and shake it over a piece of paper so you can clearly see what drops from it.

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 08:10 PM
A lot of doggies at our park eat muck, only the really black muck. To be honest, it's gross, but a lot of the owners whose dogs do this notice the stools are firmer... :D I do think the doggies smell something in the dirt that we don't. Maybe a nutrient that is necessary or lacking.