Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mini Pin w/hair loss - not mange or fungus

janeinfrench
October 9th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help us! I have a 12 year old Mini Pin who about 8 months ago developed a small oblong bald spot on his head above his eye, below his ear (it's about 3/4 in long and 1/8 in wide). We went to the vet had a scraping done and it is not a fungus. We also got him tested for mange and it is not that either. It has not gotten better or worse, but now he's come up with another teeny tiny bald circle under his eye so we are becoming concerned. He had a mast cell tumor surgically removed in July and has not been under any pharmocological treatment for that, but I don't know if this is relevant to his bald spots.....please help, everone seems to be baffled by this! :(

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure, but I know minpins have thin coats as it is, so maybe with age, the coat is just getting thinner? And it couldn't be scar tissue underneath?
Everything else I know would cause it to spread- like allergies...

xFire Angelx
October 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM
a long time ago i had a cat that whenever she got stressed out shed get bald spots... could it possibly be stress?

janeinfrench
October 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the replies....it was spreading at first....then it just stopped and the hair never grew back. He seems fine, appetite is as gigantic as usual :p I'm just worried something is going on that will be REALLY bad once he becomes more symptomatic. THe rest opf his coat feels very healthy...very silky and thick....i guess this will have to remain a mystery for now!

the gang
October 10th, 2005, 03:37 PM
i have 3, sometimes they do loose there hair when they get older, or a scare try allo vera or coat cond, hope this helps brenda keep us posted