Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Swallowed Chicken Bone!

gretchenp
September 1st, 2003, 03:13 AM
Hi...

I have a nine week old Lab pup who, about 7 hours ago, swallowed a 2.5" cooked chicken drumstick bone - WHOLE! The thing is almost as big as she is! It was an accident, I wasn't feeding it to her... she pounced on it and wolfed it down before I even had a chance to react.

Is this an emergency situation? Is there something I should do, or watch for?

Any advice at all would be appreciated... Vet's closed tomorrow...

Thanks,
Gretchen

Carina
September 1st, 2003, 07:16 AM
Let your pup eat as much soft, soggy stuff as possible - like cooked rice or bread with a little meat. This can help by providing a mass of stuff to protect her digestive tract from possible injury, and also help her poop more quickly.

I know there are people who routinely feed cooked bones without incident, but this is usually a VERY bad idea (as you obviously know!) I lost my first Rottweiler to a punctured intestine because the neighbors fed him part of a cooked chicken carcass over my fence. (They meant well, but they were idiots, they also killed my dog. :( ) But apparently they regularly fed their dog cooked bones in leftovers, and their dog was still doing fine...

I'd say it isn't an emergency situation unless she starts exhibiting any pain, lethargy, sore tummy if you press on it, or anything else abnormal. If she starts acting sick in any way, I would treat it as an emergency and get to whatever vet you can!

Best of luck!

gretchenp
September 1st, 2003, 10:16 AM
Hey Carina, thanks a lot for the reply. Sorry about your Rott :(

Well, so far she's not showing any signs of anything being wrong - she's in a good mood and playing with her sister like normal.

I'll feed her the soggy stuff. I was wondering though, since she swallowed the thing whole, wouldn't that reduce the chance of any intestinal injury? Does anybody know if whole bones can splinter after they've been swallowed?

Anyway, thanks again!

G.

Carina
September 1st, 2003, 11:04 AM
A whole bone won't splinter in her gut...the danger would be an obstruction, I'd think. It does sound like she'll be OK though! Just keep watching her for any abnormal behaviour.
:)