Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy broken tooth

sandc
October 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM
5 month old puppy, the tip of his canine tooth broke off, what should I do?

StaceyB
October 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Is it a puppy or adult tooth. If it is a puppy tooth just keep an eye on it. It will fall out when it is ready.

sandc
October 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I've been looking up information on puppy teeth, I've read that the baby teeth fall out around 4-5months and older. Is there a way to tell if it's already an adult tooth? Will it look bigger or thicker than the other teeth?

I had him at the vet just yesterday, and I remember the vet mumbling something about "..those are still baby incisors..." (he's not a people friendly vet, but he's great with animals). I'm pretty sure these are all still his baby teeth. So I should just keep a close eye on it for inflammation and the puppy's reaction to eating and chewing?

Puppyluv
October 8th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Puppy teeth are smaller and sharper, while adult teeth are bigger, thicker and heavier. Chances are, it was a puppy tooth that broke, as adult teeth are pretty sturdy, and a 5 month old is unlikely to have many adult teeth yet, let alone adult teeth that are subject to breaking. He should be fine eating as normal, but if he seems bothered by it, you can give him some ice or frozen bananas to chew on.

sandc
October 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Thank you to STACYB and PUPPYLUV for acknowledging my question and giving me such helpful answers. I will use your advice and I will keep an eye on Boomer, my puppy, for any signs of pain or discomfort. Thanks again for you help!