Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat - the side of her lip is red with alittle swelling.

Tedez
October 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Hello,

My cat haylo has had alittle bit of a swollow lip on the right side of her mouth. It's pinkish red..but has scab's of yellow in it as well. It does look infected. She doesn't cry or anything to make it look like she's in pain or anything. It doesn't seem to bother her. She's only 15 weeks old.. she could have gotten into anything...I really don't know weither to go to the vet's or not.. So people have told me to dab alittle peroxide on her lip but i think thats alittle dangerous incase she licks her lip. What could have been the cause for it.. And what do i do.. Is there any home remedy?

the gang
October 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
sounds like she might have got a bite, but if it was me off to the vet i would go hope this helps.

Tedez
October 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
sounds like she might have got a bite, but if it was me off to the vet i would go hope this helps.

I was thinking the same thing she could have gotten a bite or hurt her lip..she's not an outdoor cat where she roams the open road..She has a cat door on my screen door in the bedroom which leads up to my roof deck. My older cats when i had them used to catch birds and bats up there..so i thought maybe she had tried to eat the pine tree which is closer to her then the birds because she is tiny. But i don't think she could have gotten hurt from a pine tree.. I also have plants up there which are called spikes. It used to make the older cats sick to there stomach..could she be allergic to them?

Lucky Rescue
October 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM
While it's possible to get help with minor or common problems here, this board is no substitute for a vet check.

Where did you get this kitten? Have you ever taken her to the vet for an exam, deworming, etc?

The sore on her mouth could be nothing, or it could be a symptom of some problem. If it looks bad enough for you to have written about it here, I would say take her to the vet.

It does look infected
Infection needs to be treated by a doctor.

Tedez
October 8th, 2005, 11:29 AM
While it's possible to get help with minor or common problems here, this board is no substitute for a vet check.

Where did you get this kitten? Have you ever taken her to the vet for an exam, deworming, etc?
I know it's not a substitute for a vet check. But i can't afford the vet right at this particular week. So i thought the may have been a home remedy. Anyways i got her of a side road farm. Where i live. I don't know who i got it off of. But alot of people think she's from a barn cat. Because she's not afraid or heights nor sound.. She'll jump from anywhere. Anyways and yes she's gotten her vet check up already last month..she got her shots for Panleukopenia, Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Chlamydia, Leukemia. And also the checked her out and she had nothing wrong with her. She's only had it for a few days. I was hoping just to get maybe a home remedy. To me it could look infected..But i am a worry wart. My bf thinks she's gonna be fine. Same with my parents but i am not sure myself. But it's okay if the are no remedy's or anything and i will take her to the vet's thanks for the help anyways.

Lucky Rescue
October 8th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Is it oozing? Spreading? IF not, you can try dabbing a little diluted hydrogen peroxide on it. Make sure the solution is about 3 parts water and one part peroxide. Undiluted HP will destroy tissue in an open wound.

It's safe to use, since she wouldn't be able to swallow enough of it to make her sick.

Do you have any plants like dumb cane (Deiffenbachia) in your place?

Tedez
October 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
No, it's not oozing nor is it spreading. It's got yellow scab's on it. But no i have silk fake plant's inside the house.And on the deck i have yellow marigolds, Spikes, geisha's and this plant that came with the geisha's which is green around it with pinkish red colour on the inside then green again. I have no idea what it's called. Anyways so ill try that out..thank you very much.