Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

She won't pee in front of me!

kayla
October 7th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Sorry, this is kinda long. :o

I am fostering a 6 month min pin who is not housebroken and am having trouble getting her to pee in front of me. This is a problem because if she won't pee in front of me I can't praise her. I brought her home from the shelter yesterday afternoon and haven't been able to get her to pee in front of me once. She peed once yesterday and I caught her as I walked in the room (which I had been out of for literally one second) and said NO in a firm voice and she ran away looking really frightened. I'm guessing her previous family physically punished her for peeing indoors :(

Anyways, today I have done the umbilical cord thing (she is tied to me on a lead) so that I am always with her. She excitement peed first thing this morning (I managed to run with her to the balcony before this happened as I learned yesterday she does a lot of excitement peeing). Then I took her downstairs, went pee myself, and came out to discover she had peed and pooed again (I thought she had gotten it out in her excitement peeing). That's when I opted for the umbilical cord. She was tied to me all morning. She played with Kayla tied to me, ate tied to me, drank tied to me, slept tied to me. I took her out every hour to see if she'd go pee. I walked her around the yard, gently massaged her belly, pretended to look away, and NO PEE!. This was from about 930am to 1pm. I knew she must have to pee but NOTHING and I had to leave for school so put her in a crate. I got back at 3pm and she had peed in her crate, my sister was with her outside and I went down and she got excited to see me (I was trying to calm her down) and she peed all over again, but at least this time in the yard.

Now she is tied to me again, is there anything else I can do here? It's hard because she does seem to have some bladder control unless she is overly excited, so she will wait and wait and not pee in front of me. Then she gets excited and it all comes out and never in the right spot!

Also, I have not been saying NO for her excitement peeing, even in doors, as she doesn't even seem to realize she is doing it. Is this the right thing to do?

ALSO (sorry, so many questions) I was wondering what to do if she does pee in front of me, but indoors? Should I still say a firm NO even though it frightens her? Or should I just let her get used to peeing in front of me at this point, even indoors? So far she will only pee in excitement, or in her crate (or out of my sight but since she is now never out of my sight...)

Thanks for any advice!

StaceyB
October 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Don't let her begin a habit of going inside where ever she wants. Do you know whether she has been pad trained. Pick up some training pads and start from step one as if she were 8 wks old. Block her off in a small area, kitchen with her crate(appropriate size for her, stand up turn around and lay down). You don't want there to be any extra space in it. A few safe toys, water and a puppy pad. When you take her outdoors take a pad out and lay it on the grass. This will allow you to begin praising her for going in acceptable spots. Normally I would only have the pad available inside when you are not home but when you are home the pad is removed and you continue your training outdoors. If she starts to go somewhere other than on the pad, pick her up while saying uh,uh and place her on the pad. When she is done praise.
Take advantage of the times when you know she should go, as soon as she gets up from a sleep, after a meal, during and after play. Have an enzyme cleaner to remove all the smells in the home.

kayla
October 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Oh she did it she did it! Right after writing the message I was walking around and noticed she was sniffing around so I walked her outdoors expecting nothing but she actually peed! :D She looked a little sheepish and unsure after but I praised her like crazy and gave her a treat she started wagging and looking happy again.

Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come and not just some once in a lifetime deal! :fingerscr

kayla
October 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Do you know whether she has been pad trained.

Thanks StaceyB! I'm not sure if she has been pad trained. She was not housetrained, and had problems with excitement peeing before, but that is all I know. Isn't pad training risky because it teaches them it is ok to go indoors?

jessi76
October 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Just wanted to give you a tip that worked for me, if I took Tucker out to pee, and he wouldn't (was more interested in sniffing, playing, etc...) I'd just put him back in his crate for a few minutes (5-10), then take him back out, and he'd pee. It's habit for him now, whenever he comes out of his crate, first thing is outside to pee, then we can play.

Lucky Rescue
October 7th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Poor little thing. Toy breeds are often hard to housetrain, and no doubt she was abused for peeing so no wonder she didn't want to go in front of you.

This is the result of punishing dogs for accidents.

You're going to have to use only the most positive methods with her to build her trust and confidence. Never scold mistakes OR "excitement" peeing since she cannot control that, and praise success!

Sounds like you're off to a good start.:)

StaceyB
October 7th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Isn't pad training risky because it teaches them it is ok to go indoors?

It can be if the pad is left out all the time. I look at it this way. If your pup will go in the crate and anywhere else in the house, this will atleast give you a chance to show her that there is nothing to be afraid of and give her an acceptable temporary place to go. Is there any way you can find out what was done or used for this pup. The other option is to start with puppy basics as if this puppy has no potty skills at all.
If you are going to be away longer than your puppy can hold it it better to have a place that is ok like the pad than to just go anywhere because with the pad when you come home you can remove the pad, with anywhere it is there whether you are home or not. The puppy shouldn't be enclosed in a crate longer than they can physically hold themselves.

the gang
October 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
hi kayla, i was talking to jenn yesterday about her, im brenda and have 3 min pins i had a little probelm with my little f. min pin took a couple of days to cure she is a rescue too, they found her in someone garage any probelm send me a email would love to help, is she cute/ can you share pictures, hope to hear from you. :thumbs up

kayla
October 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM
hi kayla, i was talking to jenn yesterday about her, im brenda and have 3 min pins i had a little probelm with my little f. min pin took a couple of days to cure she is a rescue too, they found her in someone garage any probelm send me a email would love to help, is she cute/ can you share pictures, hope to hear from you. :thumbs up

She only took a couple days to cure? What were her problems? Please share your magic trick! To answer your questions yes she is extremely cute, by far the cutest min pin I have ever seen! She has her natural tail and big floppy ears which I love. I suppose I could share pics :p

Don't you just love her huge smile?

the gang
October 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM
just time was all nicky needed, she was a scared little pup we have had her 6yrs now she is a doll. last oct she lost a eye to a fatty tumor they think she is between 8-10 yrs old are you keeping rosie.