Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Washing machine rotting?!

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Anybody know what to do for a chronic rotting washing machine? Since we moved, I don't know if the washer is tilted or what, but the clothes go in fine and come out rotty smelling. It's horrible.

Right now, I'm running an empty cycle with a bunch of bleach...

Any ideas?

Or am I just going to have to deal with it till I can afford my Whirlpool front loading machine?

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
EWWWWWWWWW :yuck:
Looks like you might be making trips to the local laundromat for a while

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM
That's NOT a solution!!! NOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM
LOL, well I was going to say "go buy a new washer" but that requires muchos dineros.

raingirl
October 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I would suggest you have it serviced. Might cost a bit ($150-ish) for someone to come and just take a look at it, oil the parts, etc.

Otherwise, I would spent about $20 and buy a bunch of 2 litre bottles of vinegar, and dump them in, and let it sit over night, then let it run with just the vinegar the next day.

jessi76
October 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
yeah, I'd go with the vinegar too.

by the way, I have a front loader washer (came with my house) and I HATE it. wanna trade? (just kiddin, we live way too far away...)

CyberKitten
October 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Ewww! I would buy one - get rid of that one. Nothing seems worth that unless you know someone (your folks maybe if they live close enough?) whose machine you can use. I would not mind s front loading one but I tried one and it went nack kinda fast since it reqired too much bending on my part!

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I love my front-loader. It's a Kenmore, that I got in June, and doing laundry has been a happier experience ever since.

chico2
October 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Where I come from(Sweden)we only had front-loaders,my dog used to sit and watch the laundry spinning around :D I too loved it,can't wait to buy one.
My washmachine is working fine,except sometimes it decides to go for a walk :D

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Washing machines often can have a little bit of water left inside where you can't see it even when your load is finished. It is quite plausible for a washing machine to end up with a musty issue becasue of it. My Mom had it happen with a washing machine prior to our newest one.

She suggested about 4L of vinegar run through on a hot cycle, and to make sure you take your load out when you wash once it has been cleaned, immediatly to dry, and not to let it sit too long in the washer.

Also to find something to prop the lid open with a touch whenever you aren't using it. We have an old toothbrush uner one corner of the lid keeping it open less than a centimeter.. allows it to dry out, and keeps mold from forming again. We've haven't had a problem since we started keeping the lid open a touch.

Bearsmom
October 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Great idea, mafia! I was also going to ask, Prin, if you've got "hard water". The area we live in is notorious for high iron in the water. We bought a water softener from Culligan, and have no more orange stains in the washer, toilets, sinks, etc.

Dog Dancer
October 7th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I was also going to suggest leaving the lid open, either all the way or partially. The vinegar idea sounds right to start with though, then always leave the lid partway open. That helps to prevent it from rusting out too (per my repairman's directions).

dmc123
October 7th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Prin a service call might be worthwhile, unless you a "handier" than I am. I once assisted a friend with her washer, and in the filter we found 3 socks. Maybe yours "ate" a few small garment and that is where the smell is coming from.

Just an idea.

Diane

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Dmc, that's a really good idea... Hmmm.. I just don't know if I'm that handy... :o We'll see...

I always leave the lid open. It's the only way I know there's nothing in there when I pass by. I never leave stuff in there for more than a few hours, but no matter how long, it always come out rotting- well, at least the first two or three loads, and then after that, they're ok (at that point my dryer is over heating and burns them all sterile too...).

You have to be careful which front loaders you get though. I have been reading up on them and there are a lot of bad ones. Whirlpool and Kenmore seem to rate the best overall.. And they make them taller now, with a drawer underneath so youdon't have to bend. And they sell them at Costco too! (I don't know how I'd get it home.. I'll have to borrow Rick's truck.. :D )

My dad has an apartment sized front loader and it fits maybe a 1/3 of a normal washer's load. I need a big one. I'd rather do 2 or 3 loads than 7 or 8... :rolleyes:

Gazoo
October 8th, 2005, 10:01 AM
We just bought a Frigidaire Gallery front loader set. BTW Frigidaire makes the Kenmore models.

They work amazingly well!!!! :thumbs up

pamha
October 8th, 2005, 10:43 PM
You did say its a top-loader? Try pulling the agitator out (straight up & pull hard) & washing that real well. A couple times we`ve had super-gross gook caked around ours. I do run a load of towels with nothing but bleach or vinegar once a month or so & then rinsing the whole thing with plain hot water.
good luck

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Good idea too! Maybe pulling out the agitator will reveal a sock or two, too! :o

maddoxies
October 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Prin: I sent you a pm, I might have another answer for you