Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When to put up halloween decorations?

Luvmypit
October 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Im new at owning a house and am not sure when it makes sense to put up halloween decorations. Im so excited I want to this weekend but no one in my neighbourhood has theirs up.

I checked the interent to find an answer and not one site gave me any info.

Roxy's_MA
October 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
A friend of mine has her house already all done up. I mean crazy decorations. :crazy: I would say anytime is appropriate, as long as you don't mind having the decorations up. I personally rather put them up early and take them down right after halloween is over, as opposed to putting them up late and keeping them up for a few weeks after halloween is already over.

SunGurl372
October 7th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I concur with Roxy. I put mine up on October 1st. Locally, they even have all the pumpkin patches set up, so why not? And I pull everything down right after the holiday. I'm the same way with Christmas. I decorate the day after Thanksgiving, and everything comes back down by New Year's Day.

For me, the decorations are what helps me really get into the spirit of the season! :party:

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Who cares what the neighbors do!? They're just not cool... ;) :cool: I was debating about whether or not to do the "Griswold" for Christmas but I'd have to do it now (not in the cold). If you're my neighbor, I'll make you look late. :D

Luvmypit
October 7th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks! I am thinking this weekend being long weekend and turkey day for the canucks....

I am hoping I get them up this week. I just didn't want to be too eager.

Ahh screw the neighbourhood I may do it tonite!

What is everyone doing for Halloween? any cool out door decorations ideas?

I have two lighted window ornaments a ghost and a skull. A scary shaking sound activated ghoul, two tombstones, scary music, 3 pumpkins and a carving kit. Also since my hubby works at the jail we got a inmates out fit, I forgot what they are called and we are gonna stuff him and slap a scary mask on him.

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 12:08 PM
We have plenty of natural spider webs. :eek: I'm really not a hallowe'en person. My brother is, but I just don't get it. Wait till Christmas... :o

BeagleMum
October 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I think that I am going to put mine up sometime this weekend. We have an 8 foot blow up mummy, he's so awesome.

CyberKitten
October 7th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Halloween has always been my worst holiday - almost HATE it but I am getting better. I was scared as a child by some goblins and my feelings about it never disappeared. And this practice ofg Halloqween decorations is sooo outragous. I don't mind having a few things up around the hospital for the kids and so forth but these ppl who turn their front lawn into a cemetery with recorded music that sounds like a bad imitation of any animal in pain, with my apologies to the beautful animals. I do put up a few items like ghosts and witches but they are usuallu quite benign - just enough to say I have some decorations. And they go up mid Oct.

We do have celebrations at the hospital that are fun. There are hospital wide ones but wbecause our kids must avoid infection, we bring the treats to them and have our own parties. There will be a sugar high the last week of October and early Nov!!

Last halloween, I ended up rescuing a cat - if any of you recall - only to find the family and have to give him back with the 12 yr old child taking him to the vet for his neutering. I keep tabs on them tho and the aforementioned daughter called my office when I was away because Garfield (my name for their sweet Orange boy - his real name is T'Chat) was sick with what she thought was a cold. My office manager took them to the vet and he had a kitty cold. Got some antibiotics and last time I checked, he was doing OK and feeling much better. My staff likes the little guy (who is actually a pretty big kitty) and we have a fund for him and all his caretaker - who will be 13 this month (her parents lacking any sense or compassion at all where cats are concerned!!) and supply him with toys, good quality food and vet care. I am VERY impressed with this mere child who asked if we would buy her a book on cat care or if we would recommend one at the library - my office mgr had an extra copy of "You and Yor Cat" that someone had bought as a gift for her and she gave her that but she also rec'd as Christmas gifts from me: TheCat Who Cried for Help : Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats and All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat - kind of a cute read.

Anyway - that's my take on Halloween, lol

Here is Garfield or T'chat:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4345
http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4347

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 7th, 2005, 07:37 PM
No matter what we do my neighbours will always try one up us at halloween and xmas. They wait to see what we do then they'll put up twice as much. They even give shooters to the adults that come to the door.

Halloween is my sons birthday so its usually a hectic day for us. We try to have a birthday cake admist the doorbell ringing every 5 seconds. :eek:

Luvmypit
October 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Shooters at the door...... hmmmmm

One for you..... one for me...... one for me...... one for me

jessi76
October 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Last year was my first halloween in a house of my own (only had an apt before that and no one came to my door) so, last year, I put up some corn stalks, carved pumpkins, shut all the lights out (except for front porch light) and only had the shimmer of candlelight..... waited.... and waited... and waited... and waited.... and then 1 kid. I got ONE kid. I gave him the whole bowl of candy and that was that.

THEN my bf informed me that all the kids trick/treat on main street. Great, thanks for the late memo.

this year, I will just light my candles and watch some good movies.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Luv my pit Shooters at the door...... hmmmmm

One for you..... one for me...... one for me...... one for me

Your right.... thats pretty much how it goes. :eek:

AliSam
October 11th, 2005, 01:43 PM
When I do put them out (which hasn't been in the last couple of years), I put them out the first weekend in October. It is a mixture of Thanksgiving and Halloween. I have haystacks, pumpkins, scarecrows, spider webs, corn stalks, gourds, the whole nine yards. November 1 they all come down.

The same as Christmas. The first weekend in December it goes up, January 1 it comes down.

lezzpezz
October 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I usually put up my stuff on the weekend before and add new stuff each year. We have a lifesize coffin with a spooky mask in it, a headless body with a log and an axe and blood, (paint), the usual pumpkins, one carved by me, one by hubby and one by the tennant, as we have a riot doing it!

This year I found some cool black hollow jewellery mannequin faces. They are designed to sit on a countertop and used to advertise necklaces/earings/scarves etc. and are about 1' high. I am going to put tealights in them and they look so cool! 6 for a buck at a garage sale!! Very unique and scary!!

I also have the jumbo plastic pumpkin-with-a-cat light up decoration, about 3'high. Tacky but useful!! I have to see if someone wants to switch shifts with me so I can hand out the goodies!! Boowahahaha!!!!! :eek:

BeagleMum
October 11th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Last year was our first year in a house as well and we weren't prepared for how many kids we got. We ran out after about 150 kids (that's with me running to the corner store to buy them some pop after running out of chips and candy) and when we shut the lights off, the kids were literally kicking our door because they knew that we were home.

This year I will be prepared for at least 200. It should be interesting for Spencer and Sydney. I think that it might be a stressful night for them. There may be a lot of barking coming out of my house that night.

jjgeonerd
October 11th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Just put them up and leave them all year. Then your neighbors will leave you alone! :evil:

I love Haloween decorations. One of my neighbors puts up goblins and such all over their yard and Gabby freaks out everytime she sees them! :p

melanie
October 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM
man you ppl must be decorating the whole year, i bet you dont let your laddrs get to far outta site. its amazxing you do this and then take them down on november 1 and then have to put decos up only a month later for christmas, man too much work for me :eek: .......

but i can understand, i cant wait till christmas, i love decorating the insode and potrions of the outside of the house, but still, halloween before christmas and straight after your thanksgiving, man way to much work. your just amazing and im jsut lazy :D :angel:

Prin
October 11th, 2005, 05:06 PM
No, no, Melanie, the Christmas ones stay up all year. And if you're really classy, you turn them on every night. :D