Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New member with a JRT

Ellen
October 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
:pawprint: Hello everyone. 2 months ago we were given a 4 month old Jack Russell Terrier and are just in love with him. He was just neutered. We got 2 opinions on what kind of food to give him now. One was to give him puppy food until age 1. The other was to start him on adult food. Anyone have experience with this? :love:

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Hi Ellen! Welcome to the board! Congratulations on your Jack (Parsons ;) ) Russel Terrier! In general, it's a better idea to feed your dog puppy food until the age of one because it has a different fat-protein-carbo distribution than adult foods. Just make sure it's a high quality food, and you'll have a happy, healthy camper.
Oh and don't forget to post pics!!!!

Roxy's_MA
October 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Welcome Ellen! I have a JRT as well, aren't they just the greatest little dogs! I can't wait to see some pics. :)

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the board! There are two stories out there for food for little dogs. One side says that around the time they get neutered, they are fully grown, and can go onto adult food. The other says wait for a year.

I tend to agree with the year in the case of the Jack. They have more development than a lot of little doggies and are much higher energy than a lot of little doggies. These buggers still fill out at least till one year old. They're so muscley. I would keep him on the high energy puppy food, just to be sure he's getting everything he needs. If he gets too much, you'll see him start to plump up... ;)

Oh, yes, don't forget those pics... We have a few Jack fans here. :)

AliSam
October 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Welcome Ellen. I live with 2 JRTs. They aren't mine, they belong to our roommate. They are sweet, adorable snuggle bunnies.