Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what are you serving for thanksgiving dinner?

savannah
October 7th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Just curious
I just want to add something different this year, we are having 8 people over
so far we are having
turkey
stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy
Cesar salad
potatoes Romanoff
brown sugar carrots
broccoli and cauliflower
dinner rolls
pumpkin and apple pie

I think i need more, i love to eat
What is everyone else serving, or planning to eat for thanksgiving? Any good recipes or dishes?

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 11:11 AM
My dad's making a 7kg bird for me and my brother... :eek: My other bro is a vegan. They'll probably have some wacky stuff- no potatoes :( because my dad is on Atkins pretty seriously. Things like deep fried asparagus and unsweetened blueberry pie with unsweetened home made ice cream on top. Maybe I'll bring my own potatoes. :evil: Last time I got in super s*** for it, but hey, a girl's gotta eat her spuds on holidays.

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
My mom lovingly told me what they're having for thanksgiving (without me):
Barbecued turkey (if you've never had this, you are missing out)
Sausage stuffing
Chestnut pear stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Baked mashed sweet potatoes with brownsugar crust
Cranberry sauce (MUST be from a can!!! Not of that homemade crap :D )
Apple-Turnip Puff
Green beans and carrots
broccoli and cauliflower with bechemel sauce
corn
rolls
spinach, strawberry, chevre and pecan salad
pumpkin pie
pumpkin soufle
apple pie

My family is a little extravagant... :rolleyes:

Schwinn
October 7th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Where's the stuffing? You have to have stuffing with turkey. How about apple pie? Maybe a little ice cream with it. If we're lucky, we'll get some Yorkshire pudding as well...okay, I'm getting drool in my keyboard, I need to stop now... (here turkeyturkeyturkey)

Oh, and happy Turkey Day!!

Luvmypit
October 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM
mmmmmmmm yorkshire pudding....... the best non pudding pudding in the world

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM
What's yorkshire pudding?

We're having potatoes!! Yey!! Despite atkins, we're having a regular thansgiving meal! Yey! Woohoo!

Luvmypit
October 7th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Its like a little bread kinda ... kinda... help me out schwinn.....

It looks like this and basically you or at least I pour gravy over them and it pools inside and you can pick it up and eat it or cut it open and eat.

mmmmm

Schwinn
October 7th, 2005, 03:00 PM
It's a crust with mooshy stuff inside, and it looks a little bit like a cup. So it's a crusty mooshy cup. Actually, it tastes better than it sounds...

Like tofu, I don't know what it actually is, I only know I like it. The difference is, I don't like tofu. Don't trust it. I mean, how can one thing be a substitute for soooo many other things? Sometimes it's a beef substitute, sometimes it's a turkey substitute. You can have a tofu hot dog, and you can have a tofu hamburger. How can it be all those things? It's not natural, I tell you! I don't trust tofu...No sir, I don't like it!

/end rant

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Yorkshire pudding?? EWWWWW :yuck:
It's a simple dough of flour, egg and milk cooked in bacon fat (or other pan drippings) so it puffs up. Very British, and usually served with roast beef.
An acquired taste IMO

poodletalk
October 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I agree with you pupluv....when growing up I had it every Sunday with Roast Beef. I use to cry and cry because I didn't want to eat the meat or the yorkshire pudding. Till this day, I still don't eat it.

Luvmypit
October 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Puppyluv and poodletalk when did you get off the bus from crazy town?

Its delicious... don't listen to them! And yes I never had it with turkey but in my house when the yorkshires up my two brothers, sister and I divy it up equally b/c god forbid anyone got more then the other.

CyberKitten
October 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Good heavens Prin - how can you love stuff fr Britain (like those choc bars you mentioned) and not know what Yorkshire pudding is. It is an absolute MUST over there... :D

I am cooking TDay here this year since my folks are in the midst of packing for Florida and my mom will be too busy. My bf's family is Jewish so we just finished the Rosh Hashanah with Yom Yom Kippur on the horizon. Lots of apple cake and honey obviously!!

I bought a 21 pound turkey and I do make my own stuffing - can't stand that Stovetop junk, ughhh!! (tho Pepp Farm makes some that is not too bad). We will be haviong squash - my fav veggie by a long shot, HOMEMADE cranberry sauce - to be made by my mom (I do not care for it), corn, turnips - for it those who want it (and that excludes me, NOT a fan but I'll cook it), taters and sweet taters, wonderful gravy that has tons of cholesterol (sigh!), homemade bread - not made with my breadmaker either tho in a pinch I might, lol , pumpkin pie (of course but my mom will make it), apple pie, a strawberry dessert that is to die for for those not eating pie (moi for one) and other goodies.

Happy T Day everyone!

Bearsmom
October 7th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Great. Now I'm starving.

Actually working nights all weekend, hubby and kid and doggies are going to the outlaws. Hmmm, what'll it be, Kraft dinner or KFC?

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Kraft dinner! (childhood favorite- with lotsa milk in it)

British acquired taste? Nuff said.

CK, when I was in Ireland, I got to try a bunch of stuff, but only my taste in their chocolate stayed. I like my milk pasteurised, my eggs refridgerated, my pudding chocolate (not "black", aka blood), and can't forget: my clothes dried in the dryer, not out in the rain (to ferment and rot)... :D

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM
and can't forget: my clothes dried in the dryer, not out in the rain (to ferment and rot)... :D
LOL Prin, I think you've managed to keep the fermenting and rotting even without line-drying

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 10:27 PM
True, but even with the smell, at least they come out DRY! :D

StaceyB
October 7th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I love my dads yorkshire pudding. I don't have it often but it has always been with roast beef.

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Call me crazy, but if I'm going to have a greasy, dough-like food, it's going to be sugary, glazed, filled with jelly or covered in sprinkles. :p

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 10:55 PM
oooh krispy kremes... mmmm...

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 10:59 PM
oooh krispy kremes... mmmm...
You got it! (I didn't want to explicitly say it, what with all this pro-tims stuff going on, but Krispy Kreme truly makes better donuts, not to mention their "donut of the month".) Should I be embarassed that their website is 3rd from the top on my "my favorites" list?

StaceyB
October 7th, 2005, 11:04 PM
We don't have them here.

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Wayyyy better donuts. I also have an intolerance to a food additive and they're the only donuts I can eat! (Imagine if I couldn't even eat those!??! :eek: ) I loved the strawberry shortcake one... mmmm. And when they're hot? I heard they're having trouble financially here in Qc though... I hope not. Might be because NONE of the staff, not even the managers at the one in Chomedey (which is very English) would talk to me in English. I asked for a dozen assorted and the guy kept saying "Pardon?" until I asked in French. :rolleyes:

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM
They're doing pretty poorly in Canada in general. Damn Tim's loyalists..... I'm a big fan of the current Apple cobbler one.. mmmmm apple cobbler donut.... mmmmmm, and hot original mmmmmmmmmmmm
http://www.krispykreme.com/varieties.html

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I am working Thanskgiving day, Its going to be up to my husband and kids to cook the dinner, So it'll be a surprise. Sometimes I find the Turkey is just to much and I dont want to eat left overs for days on end. So sometimes we just buy a chicken and pretend its a Turkey. :D

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 11:13 PM
My boyfriend and I have to eat a 7kg turkey all by ourselves!! My bro isn't coming... Man, I'm gonna be sick of turkey come Christmastime... :sick:

StaceyB
October 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM
You know you can freeze it like it is or make a casserole or soup and bring it out a month or two from now.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 7th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Actually Turkeys not my favorite, but I love all the trimmings. :D

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 11:27 PM
You know you can freeze it like it is or make a casserole or soup and bring it out a month or two from now.
Yeah, it would be like two birds with one... um... bird. :D